Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 34

20 April 2015
Alan
......
The booby condo has now been occupied continuously for more than a day. I'm thinking about becoming a guano wholesailor (haha) when we reach French Polynesia.
We're shooting for a way point about 50nm off the SE tip of the Galapagos at which time we'll finally be able to change course westward by 45 degrees and head straight for the Marquesas....3000nm away. It might still look like we haven't scratched the surface of this passage, but I know it'll feel great to be out of the calms with winds predictable (mostly) in speed and direction! Although I must say that our current winds have been very consistent in the last 24 hrs, although we're kind of slugging to windward... but in a gently way. Our contrary current is also trying to go away, but is having a harder time trying to help.
Last night we came close to a @!xx?!!@$ fishing boat that went one way then the other, crossing our path less than half a mile away. The guy didn't have his AIS on (required for commercial vessels), didn't answer repeated calls on the VHF and he was towing something huge because there was a light flashing far from his stern. At first I thought it was a tug boat, but after his seemingly erratic course I gathered that he must have been on a trawling pattern. Then all of a sudden he stopped, turned off his nav lights, and little lights came off the mother ship and started moving around between the ship and the flashing light!! Dories maybe?? Quite strange! Eventually we left them behind without understanding what was going on. Nat though aliens!

It's still really hot and humid but bearable in the saloon because of the breeze coming in.

Yesterday I took out the crate with the potatoes in because of a suspicious increase in the number of flies and....oh my!.... the bottom of that crate and the shelf on which it was a sight to behold: primordial ooze with a high concentration of flies in all stages of development: from larvae to maggots to full fledge flying bombers. We have fewer potatoes now but they got all scrubbed with sea water and every thing is clean and ship shape. Now we just have to kill the adult flies one by one with the fly swatter: a pleasure!
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015