Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 48: more flying fish, a big wave, and gusty

04 May 2015
Alan/gusty
9:45 EDT
pos 7d 34 S - 121d 48 W
sog/cog 8kt @ 280d
wind: E by S at 21kts
dist to Marquesas: 1016nm

Just got your email.
....
Pretty fast night. Once in a while a wave train goes by that challenges the autopilot and the boat goes in a couple of S curves.....
Got another sizable (but not a meal) flying fish that landed on the cabin floor. Now we know how it goes: thump! then flutter flutter flutter. NAt identified it immediately although he was sleeping.
A couple days ago I broke the small french press: prepare my coffee - it's made ready to press. The rest of my breakfast is ready too. Looking fwd to sit and enjoy the whole thing. Wave comes. French press had been carefully placed against the fiddle at the edge of the counter. Good enough for 99.9% of the waves, but of course not for this one. The french press does a triple axel, lands against the nav seat, shatters; coffee everywhere, broken glass everywhere, and of course because it's a french press, coffee grounds everywhere. Now I have to make coffee in the bigger french press which is of inferior quality. If you feel like buying a 6 or 8 cup Bodrum french press at Target and bringing it over don't hesitate. That and the 4 sheets of course!
...
Survive your day.
Alan

Noon local May 4
7d 39 S - 122d 36 W (we haven't set back our clocks yet since going thru 120W)
sog/cog ave 7.6 at 260d (speed between 7 and 8.5 about)
wind ESE 25kts
24 hr run: 176nm, not too shabby
dist to Marquesas: 992nm Yeahh!!!!

WE have changed our plans and instead of going to Hiva Oa, the middle island and clear into FP there, we'll go to Fatu Hiva the southeastern most island to stay illegally (can't clear in there) for a couple days, anchored in the famous BAy of Virgins, and then sail NW to Nuku Hiva the north western most island to clear in there and then explore Nuku Hiva that has many beautiful anchorages. We'll bypass Hiva Oa which is less interesting than Nuku Hiva.
We'll leave for the Tuamotus around May31st or June 1st.

The wind has picked up to 22-25kts with gusts to 27. So the seas are starting to run. I just sat in the cockpit for an hour looking at the ocean. It is mesmerizing, with these cross swells every wave is different. At the end of my watch I took the reacher down which was poled out to port, and unfurled the jib to starboard, like the main, which allowed us to head up and follow a direct course to the Marquesas (we'd been going about 15 to 20 degrees North of the ideal heading for the last 18hrs or so).
It's was good to reach the 1000nm mark to destination and as we promised ourselves a week ago just before passing the 2000nm to destination, we drank the last 2 beers on board..... only drawbacks: beer was warm, Panamanian beers are not very good and it was 9am.....
Say hi to Rachel!
Alan
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015