Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 85 to Day 88

14 June 2015
8:30 June 9
... We are now 12nm from Kauehi NE side but the pass is another 16nm around. But we don't see anything yet....
June 10
...Raahhh I am so stupid about the [sewing] machine - I tried it carefully but didn't look at the needle. When I saw it was winding I stepped on it like my life depended on it. I was sure that by moving over the spindle that holds the bobin to wind it, it disengaged the mechanism.... wrong
....
OK we just went through the pass and are in the lagoon after heaving to all night just offshore. It was a little tense because of it being the first time but objectively there was nothing to it. Some strong rips for a hundred yards and that was it. We saw two boat leaving the lagoon. Next up anchoring amid coral: another never done before. That's in 1/2 an hour.

....
OK got to go check the lagoon
4 pm
Anchored in paradise in turquoise waters. Two other boats; one our german buddies. N and I Sharing a cold beer.....
And you're not here....yet....

We went for a walk around the village. The place is just incredible....
June 11
Today we went snorkeling around a large coral head in the middle of the atoll; it was absolutely beautiful with so many different corals and so many fish. Then we went on to the other side of the atoll and anchored the dinghies (with Gunther and Volker in theirs) and hung out on the coral beach and had a snack. We came back had a salad and a nap then I went to the little store and talked to people there and arranged for a dive with a french guy on his boat anchored in front of us. He is starting a diving business and for $60 each arranges for everything: equipment, ride in the Zodiac to the spot (the pass) etc. I am really excited about this. Nat and I will get the " baptism": he shows us how to use the equipment and the various shit we need to know and then we do a dive along the reef together.
June 12
What an incredible experience that diving. We got everything. flora fauna and even looking from below the surface at a rain squall hitting the water.
We're leaving tomorrow to go and get you: I like the sound of that.
Gunther and Volker are coming over at 6pm and I'm going to fix the tuna on the bbq (tht we haven't used yet) with sweet potatoes and ratatouille....we'll see.
Having fun at the wedding yet. Hi to Jimmy and Robbie and Marra and Ben that you said you'd see tonight (probably too late by now). You can say congrats to Sam on my behalf or whatever is appropriate (are weddings congratulated?)....
June 13
You probably have a married nephew by now.
We just went out the pass half an hour ago after a fast motorsail at 7.5 kts down the lagoon from the village that we left at 2pm or so.
The pass was was kind of wild to look at in some places but we had absolutely no problems and found a completely flat way out going at about 10kts with the current! We're now sailing toward Fakarava (I remember the name by thinking fuck-a-raven) and we'll jibe NW in an hour or so. We're getting reinforced trades at 20-25kts (the consequence of a high building behind a passing low in the southern ocean) and the sailing is great. We should get to Rangiroa tomorrow during the night and plan to standby the entrance of the pass Tipura on Monday morning to get in during the day at slack water. I'd like to anchor just to the west of the pass which is about 2 miles from the airport. If I am not at the airport waiting for you, try to find wi-fi at the airport and look for an email. If the airport does not have wi-fi the best is probably to go to a hotel that has wi-fi. THere is a hotel just to the west of the Tipura pass I think which should be just next to the anchorage, although the hotel might be on the ocean side. I think I will send you an email no matter what before your scheduled arrival (I should look it up!) to let you know where stand.

Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015