Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

January 14 in a really bumpy ride but stunning night sky

15 January 2018 | East of New Zealand
Alan
1:15pm Jan 14th local; 7:15pm EST

Pos: S 38d40m W 168d00m
Course 78d at 5kts

The seas are really bumpy with a large underlying swell from the south so the ride is frankly terrible. In addition wind speed varies from about 19 to 26 and even 32kts so I got to have the sail configuration that can handle the upper scale and thus we end up under-canvassed a lot of the time which makes the motion worse because the boat lacks power to punch through. In addition the wind direction is somewhat stuck (we have a course varying from 80d to 55d whereas we'd like to go S of E at about 110d. And to top it all there are going to be several more days of this with Wednesday a complete pill with this kind of wind on the nose!!! Our progress has globally not been that great both in speed and direction so I can't wait to escape to the South with hopefully better wind consistency and direction. But that won't happen until the end of this week I think.

The seas are so awful that Janneke has been feeling sick but fortunately I'm fine; just a few sore spots here and there, from rough landings.

Yesterday night I went on deck for a nightly check as a phosphorescent wave crest passed under the boat , the milky way and the Magellanic clouds were stunning and I saw a satellite. Taking it all together in one sight was really something!

I should try and work on the water maker but in these chaotic seas it's a bit of a chore. I think I told you that the sound system conked out, which should bring words of pity from you! (waiting....). Janneke saw a container ship last night, first on the AIS and then its lights: there are humans around!
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015