Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Monday, Cuisine and Old Testament Studies

13 February 2018 | 1250 miles west of Chile
Alan
Pos: 43d33m S - 102d40m W Course: 65 d at 4.2 kts Wind: NNW at 29kts ave Monday 6:08

Yesterday was really wonderful: whereas we hadn't lounged in the cockpit at all for at least 3 weeks (except the late afternoon the day before), yesterday we spent most of the day in the cockpit. We also completely emptied the aft locker, transferred the reserve water in the jerrycans to the tanks (we haven't even used half of the water in the tanks in more than 5 weeks at sea; that's less than 1/2 gallon of fresh water per person for ALL water needs - we must be growing gills!), fixed the hydrogeneraor fitting, vacuum the liquid of the gods from the bilge (the vacuum cleaner is both rusting from the salt water and glistening from the diesel; marvellous combo).
Today it's back to ho-hum roaring 40's: wind in the upper 20's probably increasing tonight, bitchy waves on the beam, grey rainy and foggy but NOT cold (winds out of the North). So we're back down to 3 reefs and the staysail, still making a decent heading at an semi decent speed. The problem is that with the waves on the beam, when a wave passes under us the boat heels to leward, the rudder gets out of the water, the boat rounds up, the sails flog which depowers the boat, the boat gets flat but speed has dropped to 3knots, the rudder gets back in the water and brings the boat back on course until the next significant wave does the same about 2 minutes later. Other waves in between try but can't quite achieve the rounding up.

Tuna mayo onion capers salad with chunks of fresh orange cut up in there: absolutely divine!
A little old testament talk this morning: the story gets more and more irrational, illogical and complete fantasy. If we had put all the time that people have spent studying this completely irrational fantasy full of non sequitur, red herrings, and drug induced fairy tales, into actually doing helpful things like digging ditches and planting trees we might have a decent world today! I am more and more worried about Jews who spend a lifetime studying the Tora. I bet that no publisher would agree to publish the old testament nowadays if some writer just showed up at its front desk with that work: don't call us, and we'll certainly won't call you and btw this is way too crazy to even self publish - have you thought about another line of work, like planting trees or digging ditches? Seriously!
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015