Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Communication to New Zealand Rescue

21 February 2018
Alan
Hello
As Peter Mott from Northland Radio has advised you already, our sailboat lost its second rudder today. Apart from the loss of steerage the boat is sound and we are doing fine. We are 2 on board: myself, the skipper, and my crewmember Janneke Brouwer.

I was planning the following:
Try and steer using a drogue tomorrow to get closer to the Chilean Coast and, if necessary if the emergency steering does not work, ask to be rescued toward the end of the week. But we are still 750 nm from the Chilean coast and it could take several weeks to get there on an emergency steering system.

However Peter also informed me that there is a freighter (that he saw on the AIS) about 300 nm to our West and heading East. Since the next couple of days are predicted to be relatively calm in this area, this could be a good opportunity for being picked up. Especially since that freighter might be in our vicinity tomorrow.

I would appreciate input and recommendation about our possible rescue.
Since the boat is sound and we are fine this not an emergency.

I have an SSB (WDF8082) and 2 Irirdium phones as well as 2 fixed VHFs and a portable VHF. But email might be the best mode of communication, at least initially.

Thanks for your help
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015