Arrangements pending 2 pm
21 February 2018 | 750 miles west of Chile
....I have been emailing the MRCC Chile [Chilean rescue force] . I haven't requested assistance yet but they diverted the Nanjing. [cargo ship]
Then I sent the email saying that our emergency steering was working and that I would reassess the situation later and asked them if the knew when ships would be in the area
As I was uploading that message, I was also downloading theirs saying that they had diverted the Nanjing with an ETA of tonight.
I then sent them another email saying that our system was working, and repeating the statements in the previous email and that to make a final decision about assistance I would like to know if they knew when vessels would be in the area next.
They haven't answered my email.
What I have decided is that if the Nanjing gets to us (ETA 11pm our time) then as Peter rightfully states we should not turn down their assistance. If on the other hand I can work this out before with MRCC Chile then we'll continue on our course...