Five Reasons to Abandon Taya
21 February 2018 | 750 miles west of Chile
I decided to abandon Taya for several reasons:
1. there are no other vessels in the coming days that could come to our assistance and although the steering works in the current conditions we have frontal systems coming up with gust to 45kts.
2. I am responsible for Janneke's life and although she was more than willing to go on, the risk of going on is significant although not insurmountable
3. friends and family will not have to worry for 2 or 3 more weeks about our safety
4. The rescue center has deemed it important to divert a ship to come to oour assistance; they know their job and their assessment is of extreme importance
5. from a financial standpoint although a great loss, if I factor in the actual value of the boat, the cost of needed repairs and the trip home the loss is bearable
I hate the decision with all my heart but I think that it is the prudent one.
Nanjing is headed for Valdivia and will probably be there in 3 days (it's a guess)