Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Midnight messages as Taya approaches the Chesapeake

13 May 2020
Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
1 am Monday [May 11]
Light winds descended upon us about 2 hrs ago although yesterdays was mostly light as well with a big wind shift early evening. Now the sails are flapping because of the waves and we are going about 3.2 kts. We are now about 700nm from the entrance of the bay at N 27d45m - W 66d32m.
Nothing special to report today: no fish, no big speed, no green flash, no ship. I did do a laundry this morning and I took a picture of the rinse water.......

Tuesday Midnight [May 12]
pos N29d05m W 68d on a course of 327d True at 578nm of the approaches to the Chesapeake and Bermuda is about 300nm off our starboard beam.

Yes we are noticing the longer days but especially how later the sun is setting every day because of our westward progress. Pretty soon we shall change the ship board clocks to UTC -4 instead of UTC-3 and we will be on the same time as you.
We had another day with light and variable winds. We went through a front with a dark and ominous cloud stretching from one horizon to the other and moving really fast; it was quite a sight. Immediately after the cloud we got a drastic wind shift and the wind got up to 20kts in seconds; but after a while it settled back down to its former self.

It is after mid watch for me (about 1am) and we are just going through a rain squall with some wind. motoring for the last 4 hrs to go through a very light patch and to charge the batteries to 100%. They haven't been more than 65% charged for the last several days because of the Watt and Sea having gone defunct..
We finally got some news from Suditude who finally left Jacare in Brazil, where they have been for the last 2 weeks. They are back at sea now, heading toward the Azores. We are finally getting to the very end of our fresh food excepts for 3 meals worth of meat in the freezer. We haven't opened a can yet other than the coconut milk cartons that we use occasionnally.
Nathaniel is continuing to help out with arrival/clearance /marina which is great. Maryland having cancelled boating restrictions we definitely are heading for Baltimore. We just have to settle on a marina. I'll ask him to check out Deckelman's! Annina's transit through Baltimore should be smooth and she's thinking of asking her mother to book her a flight on the 22nd. There are daily flights from Newark Int'l to Zurich. We should be in Baltimore the 18th if the forecast holds. I think that we might anchor at night in the Bay if we are too tired to keep careful watch at night in the Bay
Can't wait to be home and meet Emilia; so she looks like josefine?!

Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015