Voyageur C

27 July 2010 | Shelburne, NS
04 July 2010 | Marblehead, MA
01 June 2010 | Norfolk, VA
28 April 2010 | Hollywood, FL
18 March 2010 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
01 March 2010 | Salinas, Dominican Republic
02 February 2010 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
01 January 2010 | Simpson Bay Lagoon, St. Martin
02 December 2009 | Point a Pitre, Guadeloupe
06 November 2009 | Clifton, Union Island, Carriacou
17 October 2009 | Guiria, Venezuela
03 October 2009 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
23 August 2009 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
28 July 2009 | Hog Island, Grenada
28 June 2009 | Bequia, Grenadines
19 May 2009 | Portsmouth, Dominica
22 April 2009 | Falmouth, Antigua
10 March 2009 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
29 January 2009 | Norman Island, BVI
29 December 2008 | Antigua

Final Passage (July 23/10)

27 July 2010 | Shelburne, NS
We spent the first four days of July on a mooring in Marblehead, arranged with some difficulty on the busiest weekend of the year by the Boston Yacht Club Dock-master, Ken Breen. Thanks, Ken and also to Mike M. for the transport service. The July 4th fireworks and the sunsets (see photo) were excellent.
We slowed down our travel pace, stopping at Kittery, Portland and South Freeport before coming to rest in Boothbay, Maine for another four day stop. Here we rented a car for three days ($70.12 special) and provisioned and explored for the weekend. Highlights were the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and the excellent Boathouse Bistro in Boothbay.

From here it was back into the fog for a run to lobster trap infested Tenants Harbor, thence to beautiful Pulpit Harbor (see photo) on North Haven - a spectacular anchorage featuring perfect protection, sunsets over the Camden Hills and daily visits under sail by 2 or 3 of the Penobscot Bay windjammers like Victory Chimes (see photo). We left on July 16th, a day that really belonged in the fall, not the summer and ended up in Buck's Harbor, then spent a night at the Wooden Boat School in Eggemoggin Reach (see photo).

After four days hanging around various ports on Mount Desert Island, we left July 22nd on the overnight passage back to the Shelburne Harbour Yacht Club in Nova Scotia, from whence we started way back on September 18th, 2007.

This is the last post to our cruising blog.

Leona, Bill and Voyageur C have logged some 11,300 miles and visited 26 countries over the past three years. The header photo shows a few of the courtesy flags we flew during the trip. On average we moved the boat every third day and somehow (as reputed day trippers) spent 25 nights at sea. We collected 100 cruisers boat cards and (mis)managed to spend 11 different currencies along the way! We have had a truly awesome time.

A common question we get is "What is your favorite Island?" The folks in Grenada who would ask "How do you like my Island" kinda sum it up. The answer, it's not the islands so much as the people you share them with. They are all unique in some way. Most memorable of all are the many wonderful people we met along the way and the new friends with whom we cruised many miles and jointly "discovered" many places..

Voyageur C will be making shorter summer trips for the next little while. We have great expectations that some of the cruisers we met will actually travel to the far north and visit us at home next summer or whenever. Your hospitality was great - we want a chance to reciprocate and show you a truly great corner of the cruising world. No crowds, just company, magnificent scenery and great Nova Scotia hospitality.

Fair winds and following seas to all and (as they say in Newfoundland)

Long may your big jib draw!

Bill & Leona
Voyageur C
44-41.129 N, 63-53.403 W
Comments
Vessel Name: Voyageur C
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 35
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Bill & Leona
About:
In 2005 we sailed Voyageur C to the Abacos, returning to Nova Scotia in the spring of 2006. [...]

Who: Bill & Leona
Port: Halifax, NS, Canada