Waiting to sail away

04 May 2015 | Lake Rathbun
29 April 2015 | Iowa
26 March 2015 | Galveston Bay
25 March 2015 | Galveston Bay
24 March 2015 | Galveston Bay
24 March 2015
24 March 2015
24 March 2015
24 March 2015
24 March 2015
22 March 2015 | Kansas City
16 March 2015 | Iowa....still
29 December 2014 | Butt cold Iowa
10 November 2014 | Iowa
28 July 2014 | Lake Rathbun
25 July 2014 | Lake Rathbun
28 June 2014 | Lake rathbun
06 April 2014 | Lake Rathbun
20 March 2014 | Iowa
27 February 2014 | Indianola, Iowa

a yacht of education

03 July 2013 | lake rathbun, iowa
gene
To say the least, yachties are friendly people. My neighbors, Karl and Barbie (yes that is her name and her personality, but she is as sweet as she is daffy) have educated us on many aspects of owning a boat. From stepping the mast (moving the mast from its travel location laying across the deck, to its functioning location erect) to how to wash the boat and prepare for Barely Awakes first sail with us. Karl, who is very active in the Rathburn Yacht Club (RYC) has also towed me and Barely Awake to the lake (70 miles) to have the necessary work (swing keel cable and outboard water pump) replaced. He has also told the other members of the yacht club of our purchase and that we will be joining the club for their fourth of July festivities. The RYC members have welcomed us with open arms to their best burger competition (I'm considering going to McDonalds as a gag) and invited us to watch the fireworks with them. Upon our arrival, the yachties came from their floating weekend get -a-ways to see our little 21' girl. They commented more than once that she does not show her age of 41 years, and that they are surprised that we got her for such a deal. Amy and I look forward to this weekend at lake Rathburn and hope to soon be sailing like pros. We also hope to be joined by family and friends soon, especially our children "for short periods of time".
Comments
Vessel Name: Clair de lune
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 25' O'Day s/v
Hailing Port: Indianola, Iowa
Crew: Amy and Gene
About: We are beginning our journey from land based people to sailors. We are starting our blog as a way to share our story (which was inspired by many other bloggers on this site) and measure our own progress.
Social:

sailors in training

Who: Amy and Gene
Port: Indianola, Iowa