04 September 2011 | Toronto
Trip postponed due to Hurricane Irene / potential of Katia. Owner of boat a bit freaked out, don't blame him. Hurricane season goes untill end of November, locks in the ICW (Inter Coastal Waterway) close mid October / early November. Boat owner is now looking at purchasing 38 foot Catalina in Virgin Islands.
If you go to You-tube and type in turks and caicos and hit enter, there is an excellent video of a motor yatch with excellent imagery, mind you it is 80-100 foot yatch, with a garage no less, but I love the music and the scenes of the Turks and Caicos.
I am now looking and maybe dreaming too much of buying my own boat, 32-36 foot, under 50 grand either here or in the states. Prices in the states seem much more cheaper and bringing it up here for the summer, then back south for the winter.
Leaving September 1
16 August 2011 | Toronto
I am leaving Sept 1 for warmer areas. Kevin, a friend from National Yatch Club wishes to get his boat to the Bahamas and then to Cuba. It is a Catalina 42 MK. Kevein has sailed extensively on his boat but never really offshore. I of course have never done any Large boat sailing except dingies, such as catamarans, albacores and lasers. However, have always been interested in broadening my horizons.
So on Sept 1 we are leaving for Oswego NY, and taking the intercoastal waterway to NY, NY. Then it is off to the Bahamas and Cuba. From there, who knows.
At the moment just tying up loose ends here in Toronto and provisioning the boat.
In the future, this blog will be updated and a clickable Google Earth Map will appear showing our exact position for any of you wanting to see our progress.