Footnotes from Water Music

Sicily to New Zealand on Water Music Wauquiez Centurion 45

Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Centurion 45
Crew: Stephen Foot, Grace Foot, Charlie Foot, Fergus Mutch
08 November 2019
08 November 2019
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand
26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island
25 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
22 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
21 October 2019
21 October 2019
21 October 2019 | Musket Cove
20 October 2019 | Navula Passage, Fiji
19 October 2019 | Muskett Cove
14 October 2019
14 October 2019 | Nanuya
12 October 2019
12 October 2019
09 October 2019 | Makongai in Fiji
26 September 2019 | Vanua Mbalvu in the Lau Islands of Fiji
Recent Blog Posts
08 November 2019

08 November 2019

And so to bed!

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

And so to bed

The last week has passed in something of a blur as we have put the boat to bed and sought to balance this with some more fun things to do in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

Journey's end

When we last completed a blog, we were looking for some wind to get some respite from the mirror flat seas we were experiencing. We found it!

27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand

Signs of life

Our position: 30.00S, 170.07E

26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island

Turning for New Zealand

Our Position: 26.47S, 169.21E

On our way again

27 February 2019 | Depart from Grenada
stephen foot
After a month of what was meant to be gentle pottering down through the Leeward & Windward Islands, it is time for Water Music to be on her way again. The last month has brought consistent, robust trade winds of rarely less than 20 knots and often gusting up to 40knots - particularly in some of the anchorages we went to. How we could have done with this wind for the Atlantic crossing itself!

Jay & Gillian Devonshire joined us in Grenada on Friday 22 Feb and that enabled us to do some sightseeing round the island, hiking up Grenada's hills, swimming and leaping in waterfalls, shopping in local markets, going to Full Moon parties, Jump-Ups and reggae parties and going to the cricket. Sadly the latter was not a great success as the last 48 hours consisted of rain. When it wasnt raining, it rained and felt a bit like the Isle of Wight in November - all bar the temperature. Again we loved our time in Grenada and managed to get lots of jobs sorted out on the boat - including getting our electrics sorted, the fridge fully working and our propelllor anode replaced. The skipper noticed that the anode had worn very badly after one night in Martinique and we have been searching for the right size as a replacement ever since. We went into the timber joinery shop in Clarke's Court to ask where we might get one from and were told that one of their people was going to Trinidad the following day and would we like him to pick one up. What a fantastic service and something we shall always be grateful for. This duly happened and we fitted the new anode on Monday evening - fortunately not dropping any of then pieces as I attached them whilst at anchor!

And so we planned to leave first thing on Tuesday morning, with a short hop to Carriacou to re-accustom our sea legs, before undertaking the passage (400Nm) to Bonaire, which would take us well to North of the Venezualan islands and, hopefully clear of any rogue activity there. Well no plan ever really survives and the first thing to change was our departure time. Customs & Immigration were (sort of) open in the morning - but the key person didnt turn up until 1000 and so our departure was delayed to accommodate them. We then looked out into the Caribbean Sea and with 25 knots of wind coming from the North East decided that a 20 mile beat was not really necessary and that we would be better simply going West. So after a slow start into a very confused sea, we passed Grenada airport and hoisted the heavy spinnaker at 1320 on Tuesday. That settled us down a lot and, as time wore on the sea got less confused. The spinnaker came down just before dark and, with an autopilot coping very well (what a joy to have that working again!), we trundled west under a wonderful, clear starry night - with the Pole Star in one direction, the Southern Cross in the other and Orion overhead.

That wouldnt last - would it! At dawn the locking nut under the goose neck fitting came apart - exactly what happened leaving Lanzarote. This took a while to fix, but is now sorted as best we can. The Vang needs a little further attention - but no doubt we will have time to sort that out later.

Right now we have just completed Water Music's fastest 24 hour run of 215 Nautical miles (mostly in the right direction) and are running down the miles. At this rate, we would hope to arrive in Bonaire before dark tomorrow evening.

A happy crew - waiting for a break from endless Sarggasa weed so we can catch some fish!
Comments
Water Music's Photos - Main
Photos from Charlie and Fergus, from Tongatapu to Vava'u
25 Photos
Created 9 September 2019
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
No Photos
Created 17 April 2019
1 Photo
Created 31 March 2019
7 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
No Photos
Created 21 January 2019

About & Links