Footnotes from Water Music

Sicily to New Zealand on Water Music Wauquiez Centurion 45

Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Centurion 45
Crew: Stephen Foot, Grace Foot, Charlie Foot, Fergus Mutch
08 November 2019
08 November 2019
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand
26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island
25 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
22 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
21 October 2019
21 October 2019
21 October 2019 | Musket Cove
20 October 2019 | Navula Passage, Fiji
19 October 2019 | Muskett Cove
14 October 2019
14 October 2019 | Nanuya
12 October 2019
12 October 2019
09 October 2019 | Makongai in Fiji
26 September 2019 | Vanua Mbalvu in the Lau Islands of Fiji
Recent Blog Posts
08 November 2019

08 November 2019

And so to bed!

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

And so to bed

The last week has passed in something of a blur as we have put the boat to bed and sought to balance this with some more fun things to do in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

Journey's end

When we last completed a blog, we were looking for some wind to get some respite from the mirror flat seas we were experiencing. We found it!

27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand

Signs of life

Our position: 30.00S, 170.07E

26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island

Turning for New Zealand

Our Position: 26.47S, 169.21E

Company - who is joining us for tea?

08 May 2019 | South Pacific Ocean
Stephen
There seems to be some dispute going about the overall fairness of the "guess the 24 hour run" game that we play every day. Bitterness seems to be displayed by the self styled oppressed bosun as he never seems to win. He also seemed to be concerned that the skipper appears to win quite frequently. The skipper puts that down to skill and constant monitoring and thinks the oppressed bosun is just revealing sour grapes and nothing to do with any sort of inside knowledge. The skipper has repeatedly referred to the use of the Duckworth-Illingworth formula - but the oppressed bosun doesnt seem to take it on board.

Robust, white sail reach followed yesterday's blog and then a fairly sloppy night where we dropped some speed. Overnight we broke through the 1000 Nm distance to Fatu Hiva - our proposed destination. However the dawn broke with some fresh breeze and Water Music was going fast again. The 24 hour run was back to 172 Nautical Miles and that is precisely the number that the skipper had guessed.

At morning coffee, we enjoyed chocolate banana bread and followed that at lunch with the last of the fresh cheese and newly baked bread. We also finished the last of the serrano ham and are getting our way through the last of the apples.

Immediately after lunch we had a visitation from the local wildlife. Travelling downwind at about 9 knots we spotted some breaking waves some 50 yards ahead and took avoiding action from what turned out to be 2 large whales who appeared to be asleep on the surface - just over 900 miles from land. The oppressed bosun says they were copulating - but we dont think he really knows. Any ideas on what they might be would be great - they were shaped like pilot whales but were 30-40 feet long and we think that is too big for pilots. They had black, had pointed fins and very snub noses. We rapidly altered course and passed them about 20 yards to one side - affording everyone a great view, but sadly not time for any photographs. Thankfully they declined the invitation to tea and showed no further interest in us.

This afternoon the skipper finally relented and took down what was left of the Royal Thames Burgee that has flown from the top of the mast since we left Lanzarote. With it came the top of the Single Side Band Radio Aerial - so we are expecting somewhat worse reception on the nightly "listen with Norm" show. It seems that, under "Listen with Norm" there are 6 Ocean Cruising Club yachts crossing at the same time. 2 dont have SSB radios and 2 are far to far away from us for us to be able to hear them. Listen with Norm is precisely what it says.

We anticipate some fresher winds tomorrow for about 24 hours. Fishing limited as we are going too fast to bring any loaded lines in.
Comments
Water Music's Photos - Main
Photos from Charlie and Fergus, from Tongatapu to Vava'u
25 Photos
Created 9 September 2019
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
No Photos
Created 17 April 2019
1 Photo
Created 31 March 2019
7 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
No Photos
Created 21 January 2019

About & Links