Footnotes from Water Music

Sicily to New Zealand on Water Music Wauquiez Centurion 45

Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Centurion 45
Crew: Stephen Foot, Grace Foot, Charlie Foot, Fergus Mutch
08 November 2019
08 November 2019
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand
26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island
25 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
22 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
21 October 2019
21 October 2019
21 October 2019 | Musket Cove
20 October 2019 | Navula Passage, Fiji
19 October 2019 | Muskett Cove
14 October 2019
14 October 2019 | Nanuya
12 October 2019
12 October 2019
09 October 2019 | Makongai in Fiji
26 September 2019 | Vanua Mbalvu in the Lau Islands of Fiji
Recent Blog Posts
08 November 2019

08 November 2019

And so to bed!

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

And so to bed

The last week has passed in something of a blur as we have put the boat to bed and sought to balance this with some more fun things to do in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

Journey's end

When we last completed a blog, we were looking for some wind to get some respite from the mirror flat seas we were experiencing. We found it!

27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand

Signs of life

Our position: 30.00S, 170.07E

26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island

Turning for New Zealand

Our Position: 26.47S, 169.21E

Fish

11 May 2019 | South Pacific Ocean
Stephen
For the last day's run we are posting twice. One devoted to the OB's admiration of the autopilot, the other (this one) picking up any highlights from yesterday.

Well the day started in much the same way as previous ones. The calm was punctuated by cries of Fish!, but always with the same result. Whatever beast it was on the end, we seem to lose them as we were just going too fast to reel them in. More often that not the strikes came in twos, including one in the middle of Listen With Norm.

We were just about to give up for the evening, when the lines started to run again. One fish quite quickly jumped off, but the second one stayed with us. We switched the engine on and engaged reverse gear in an attempt to slow down the boat and slowly but surely reeled the fish in. When she got close up to the transom, we started to see the size of the beast and it tried on several occasions to wrap itself around rudder, keel and prop shaft. After another 20 minutes, both skipper and fish were exhausted and, with the help of the gaff, we landed the fish in the aft cockpit well. that was the idea, but sadly rather optimistic as a place to accommodate this fish, which was comfortably 5 feet long. We again reached for "Mediterranean Fishes" for identification - ruling out Wahoo and Marlin along the way. We had landed ourselves a pretty large Swordfish.

Gutting, cleaning took place in the near darkness, but we at least had some to go into what would have been a vegetable curry. After a bumpy night last night, we separated the fish into steaks, curries and ceviche. Probably enough food to give us sustenance to Tahiti and certainly more than enough to Marquesas.

Back to the more daily life, at the time of writing we have under 500 miles left to run and are enjoying a growing moon at night. Last night the moon set at midnight and was bright enough to light most of the sky. Sunset continues to be a really special time of day - from now on it wont be disturbed by the high pitch whine of either fishing reel.
Comments
Water Music's Photos - Main
Photos from Charlie and Fergus, from Tongatapu to Vava'u
25 Photos
Created 9 September 2019
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
No Photos
Created 17 April 2019
1 Photo
Created 31 March 2019
7 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
No Photos
Created 21 January 2019

About & Links