Footnotes from Water Music

Sicily to New Zealand on Water Music Wauquiez Centurion 45

Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Centurion 45
Crew: Stephen Foot, Grace Foot, Charlie Foot, Fergus Mutch
08 November 2019
08 November 2019
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands
27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand
26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island
25 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
22 October 2019 | West of New Caledonia
21 October 2019
21 October 2019
21 October 2019 | Musket Cove
20 October 2019 | Navula Passage, Fiji
19 October 2019 | Muskett Cove
14 October 2019
14 October 2019 | Nanuya
12 October 2019
12 October 2019
09 October 2019 | Makongai in Fiji
26 September 2019 | Vanua Mbalvu in the Lau Islands of Fiji
Recent Blog Posts
08 November 2019

08 November 2019

And so to bed!

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

And so to bed

The last week has passed in something of a blur as we have put the boat to bed and sought to balance this with some more fun things to do in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

31 October 2019 | Opua, Bay of Islands

Journey's end

When we last completed a blog, we were looking for some wind to get some respite from the mirror flat seas we were experiencing. We found it!

27 October 2019 | 250 miles North of New Zealand

Signs of life

Our position: 30.00S, 170.07E

26 October 2019 | West of Norfolk Island

Turning for New Zealand

Our Position: 26.47S, 169.21E

Rarotonga

02 August 2019 | Rarotonga
Grace Foot
Thank you to everyone who has pointed out that we haven't changed the date on the blogs!
We are now in Rarotonga which is like a different world from French Polynesia New Zealand style bars and restaurants everywhere, coffee shacks, lots of NZ tourists and second homes, spas, gyms and yoga studios. We've been incredibly lucky to have met Ross and Cindy who have a guest house on the beach in Bora Bora as they have been wonderful on the local knowledge and finding the sail maker and fabric to get the mainsail repaired again!
We couldn't have arrived on a better week as it is the Maeva Nil festival which is the equivalent of the Haeva here. So we are about to embark on our third night of dance performances . Brian is now an expert on all steps and also an authority on the competition categories!
We are still very much in Polynesian culture although the second language is now English rather than French and Cook Islands Polynesian is different from French Polynesian although phonetically quite similar. Our language skills have stretched to Kia orana for hello and meitaki for goodbye, and moana for ocean (the name of an awful lot of boats here!) One thing that is the same here is the tradition of burying your deceased family in your garden in enormous elaborate graves which are often equal in size to the house, and then usually a further house and further graves are put on the plot, estate agents are few and far between as Polynesians are generally against selling their ancestral home and can trace ownership back hundreds of years, although some if the big hotel chains have sufficient cash to persuade some to sell they often have a grave yard to protect in the contract.
Our journey here was quite rough and uncomfortable but the wind has now died so sadly we have decided to miss out on Palmeston island and head straight for Niue a approx 4 night crossing then another hop to the northern Tongan islands. This will be a disappointment to some ex Palmeston residents who have been active in engaging with us on the dock trying to persuade us to transport various goods or people back there! It is an unusual island everyone is descended from a William Masterton who had three wives and fathered 26 children and divided the island between the 3 branches of his family, the middle one being in charge!
Comments
Water Music's Photos - Main
Photos from Charlie and Fergus, from Tongatapu to Vava'u
25 Photos
Created 9 September 2019
No Photos
Created 27 May 2019
No Photos
Created 17 April 2019
1 Photo
Created 31 March 2019
7 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
No Photos
Created 21 January 2019

About & Links