Wayward Sun Sailing

Vessel Name: Wayward Sun
Vessel Make/Model: Tyler 42 Slipper Ketch, built by Tyler Boat Works (UK)
Hailing Port: Pittsburgh PA
Crew: Dave & Margi
About:
We have owned Wayward Sun (WS) since July 2005 and sold everything we owned to set sail for the Bahamas and beyond Oct 1, 2007 from White Rocks, north of Annapolis, MD. [...]
Extra:
When using the Winlink Position Link - enter the callsign KB3OND in the top left ocrner of the map to take you to WS's position reports. Winlink will be the most up-to-date position as we can post that without wifi. However, winlink is the opposite showing most recent in RED, while the blog map [...]
20 April 2019
09 April 2019
03 April 2019
29 March 2019
20 March 2019
17 March 2019
13 March 2019
06 March 2019
24 February 2019
13 February 2019
10 February 2019
05 February 2019
24 January 2019
18 January 2019 | Soldier Cay
Recent Blog Posts
20 April 2019

Heading home

First group of dolphins, these were two little ones from the group.

14 April 2019

Laid back Key West to "Hard" times at Stock Island

WS (on the "Hard") getting some final touches from the Capt'n after finishing the bottom

09 April 2019

The Last Key

Sunset over the Key West mooring field.

03 April 2019

Marathon of Lazy Days

Capt'n with the marina bikes after shopping.

29 March 2019

Back in the USA

Picture above is some of the Marathon fishing fleet tied up in the canal that leads back to Castaways.

26 March 2019

Weather to stay or go (whether...)

Picture is Exuma Land and Sea Park mooriings at Warderick Wells. Horseshoe of deep water surrounded by sand banks on each side, pretty cool spot.

Stuck in West Bay

24 January 2019
Tuesday during our high winds, stuck on the boat most of the day, Capt'n did get the tack working. He cleaned the sending unit and to our surprise it worked. We did venture off the boat in the wind and waves since the Capt'n makes sure he is more than annoying if he is stuck on the boat too long. It wasn't too bad, but I was super disappointed that the little stand selling beers last year was all boarded up, so Capt'n had to buy me one when we got back to the boat, which means reaching in the fridge and pulling one out. That reminds me - besides all these Nazi's (Capt'n is also the Ice Nazi, rationing our big ice cubes out) we have on the boat we also have a beer fairy. Capt'n just opens the fridge and pulls out our anchor beers, never restocking it and never knowing how there is always beer in there. I guess there is just no need to question a good thing...

Later Tuesday, HH was on the boat All In around 4:30. It was Robert's birthday so Capt'n wrapped him up one of our new small flashlights and a coolie from St. Pete (Robert lived there for years) for a present using an old paper chart from a fishing store. It was a really great idea and a nice little present. Another great happy hour and good time, still rough and rocking and rolling on the boat, but had fun.

Wed decided to rent a car with All In, but they hadn't launched their dinghy in the high winds yet and didn't think it was really safe. We launched ours Monday when we got here because last year we had to hoist it in high winds and agree it's not that safe. Actually, hoisting it up in Great Harbour before we left, Capt'n took a nice ride on it while it was hanging from the halyard and trying to get it under control in the high winds there. It was really comical (kinda looked like a vertical flying squirrel hanging on to the top of the dinghy), but I had to hold the laugh in since Capt'n wasn't really a happy camper right then. Anyway, we were uncertain if we'd be here Thursday, so renting the car on Wed made the most sense. Capt'n went over and picked up Robert and Alison and took them to shore then came back and got me. Took a little bit of an effort, but Alison managed to get the rental company to come pick us up. Nice day traveling around the Island, lunch in Nassau, stopping at stores (haven't seen a real grocery store since we left Marathon) and a stop at Batelco for both of us. My data/cell plan was supposed to start after the 7 day free period, but didn't kick in and all of a sudden I had no internet and Alison had pretty much the same problem, but on her phone. One thing about Batelco they are very nice and helpful when you go to their stores. Fixed both of our problems, which was a relief as the next Island with a BTC store is in Georgetown and we will not be there for at least a week or so. Parked the car overnight at the park, about 15 minute walk from the anchorage. They have a gate and a guard there all night so for a not so small donation, we could park there overnight. Made sense to keep it overnight as we had got the car late so had until 11AM to return in on Thursday. Worked well, got All In's diesel jugs filled up and a little bit more gas for WS generator/dinghy before dropping the guys off and heading out shopping again while on our way to take the car back. Barely got the car back in time, but they were nice and gave us a ride back to the boat. Alison drove the car the entire time and did an awesome job navigating the round abouts and driving on the left side of the road.

So now it is an early HH on WSC tonight as we haven't got together for a few days, well ok only one really. T-storms forecast so hoping to beat the storms in the dinghies back to the boats after. We'll get an early start tomorrow and head towards Norman Island, but so far there is talk of anchoring at Lobster Cay, where there are some nice reefs to snorkel on and maybe even a lobster or two that wants to be dinner for us. Well guess they call it Lobster Cay, there's probably no Lobster left there - at least that's what the Capt'ns will tell us if they come back empty handed...
Comments
Wayward Sun's Photos - Wayward Sun (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
 
1
32 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
4 Photos
Created 9 April 2019
33 Photos
Created 1 April 2019
22 Photos
Created 13 March 2019
19 Photos
Created 8 March 2019
27 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
38 Photos
Created 6 February 2019
25 Photos
Created 20 January 2019
2 Photos
Created 17 December 2018
Prior Pics
7 Photos
Created 24 September 2018