Wayward Sun Sailing

Vessel Name: Wayward Sun
Vessel Make/Model: Tyler 42 Slipper Ketch, built by Tyler Boat Works (UK)
Hailing Port: Pittsburgh PA
Crew: Dave & Margi
About:
We have owned Wayward Sun (WS) since July 2005 and sold everything we owned to set sail for the Bahamas and beyond Oct 1, 2007 from White Rocks, north of Annapolis, MD. [...]
Extra:
When using the Winlink Position Link - enter the callsign KB3OND in the top left ocrner of the map to take you to WS's position reports. Winlink will be the most up-to-date position as we can post that without wifi. However, winlink is the opposite showing most recent in RED, while the blog map [...]
20 April 2019
09 April 2019
03 April 2019
29 March 2019
20 March 2019
17 March 2019
13 March 2019
06 March 2019
24 February 2019
13 February 2019
10 February 2019
05 February 2019
24 January 2019
18 January 2019 | Soldier Cay
Recent Blog Posts
20 April 2019

Heading home

First group of dolphins, these were two little ones from the group.

14 April 2019

Laid back Key West to "Hard" times at Stock Island

WS (on the "Hard") getting some final touches from the Capt'n after finishing the bottom

09 April 2019

The Last Key

Sunset over the Key West mooring field.

03 April 2019

Marathon of Lazy Days

Capt'n with the marina bikes after shopping.

29 March 2019

Back in the USA

Picture above is some of the Marathon fishing fleet tied up in the canal that leads back to Castaways.

26 March 2019

Weather to stay or go (whether...)

Picture is Exuma Land and Sea Park mooriings at Warderick Wells. Horseshoe of deep water surrounded by sand banks on each side, pretty cool spot.

Land of the relentless cold fronts

28 January 2019
Michele, Tim, Capt'n, Alison and Robert enjoying a few brews at Staniel Cay Yacht Club.

Finally left West Bay, New Providence on Friday, Jan 25th winds were finally down into the 20's and a better direction so we wouldn't be beating into high winds and waves. WSC led us out through the south exit, which is the way WS should have went last year, but too iffy with the coral, high winds going out a small pass we had never been through before. I had put waypoints on the chartplotter and Tim led us directly over them, which is a good thing... WSC then radioed to go on they had lost one of their engines and were crabbing a bit. All in then radioed and said they had lost one of their kayaks going through the bumpy exit. Jeez, luckily the only problem we had was when hoisting the dinghy the night before one of the paddles fell out of it, but we managed to get it back on board with the net. Still blowing 20 knots out of the SSE so had a nice sail to start, but then, as usual, the wind dropped off so motor sailed the rest of the way since we had to maintain a minimum of 5 knot average to get to the anchorage by dark. WSC had managed to get their engine running again, even though they can run on just one, two is much better. Plans had changed and we were going to Hawksbill Cay now, much further than Norman. WS had taken the higher route in deeper water to avoid most of a coral garden, the others took the lower route and Capt'n was trying to get us to do the same, but what is the use of having to worry about the coral and go slower looking for the heads? Luckily, logic prevailed and we were about 3 miles ahead of the others in the end and got into the anchorage pretty early. Crept in as close as possible and saw 6'8" agreed to go back to 7'5" to anchor. Somehow the boat took off and before I knew it we were way far away from shore and in 10' of water having a heated spat about where we were at. After probably one of our worst anchorage spats we just stayed there, luckily we were the only ones in the anchorage. WSC came in and drawing only 4' got way in close to shore. They said it was deep enough once you get over the 6'8" hump, but we decided to just stay put. All In came in and anchored kind of in between WS and WSC, but still pretty far out too. They draw 5' and decided to move in closer to WSC so pulled up the anchored and then we saw them put it back down again. Alison radioed they had bent the bow roller when pulling up the anchor and now they were also bouncing off the bottom, not good. We were on low tide so they would be fine shortly and winds would veer to the E putting them in deeper water so okay for now, but sounds like they have a major problem.

Saturday morning - Tim and Michele came by in the dink. We had already told everyone we were not going to stay the extra day there and we were going to head for Staniel first thing and anchor off Big Majors. Weather looked great for sailing on Saturday and if we stayed another day, the winds would shift to the south and it would be another motor sail. When WSC had passed All In on the way out they said their bow was a mess and looked like a pretzel. So Capt'ns went over to try to see if they could help. At that point All In said they were going to Staniel also so with a group effort they managed to get the anchor on board and tied off so they could move without using the pretzel bow roller. All In does not have a windlass either so the anchor is raised by hand, which further complicated things. Finally, around almost 11 am we were able to leave the anchorage and WSC decided to come too. Winds were to be out of the NE to E and "should" be able to sail, but now there is this dark cloud behind us moving our way, something we may have missed had we left just a tiny bit earlier. Either way, we had an awesome sail down, winds died a little at one point, but then picked up again and WS was flying (well flying for us) between 6 and 7 knots under full sail. It's so nice to have all of her 4 sails up and sail the entire way for a change. All In was a little ways back and WSC was probably about two miles back when we got to the entrance of the anchorage. However, the dark clouds had followed us and just about upon us and I'm yelling at the Capt'n to get the sails down so we could get anchored before the squall hits. Raced into the anchorage and just about at the spot we like and I realize I forgot to flake the chain in the anchor locker, shoot! So it's now slow down, slow down so I can get below to the chain locker. Our anchor locker is large and when bringing up the chain it piles up on one side then any wake or rough water will bring the chain tumbling down on itself and knotted to where it won't budge coming out. Not a good thing when you release the chain an it won't budge. So raced down and got about 50' flaked and now it's blowing over 30 and starting to rain. Got to our spot, dropped the hook and set it in sand with no problem. All in got to another spot and dropped their hook, but used there smaller anchor and were dragging. WSC didn't make it before the squall hit, so they were forced to anchor during it, but had no problems and later advised All In to drop their other anchor, which did stop them from dragging. This is All In's first trip to the Bahamas and a rough one so far, cold fronts just keep rolling through day or two of good weather, then another front to try to hide from somewhere.

Sunday was a great day, with nice weather a trip into Staniel for a walk and some beers at the yacht club. It was a nice time and a nice break for All In after working on the bow roller all morning. They had made a make shift bow roller so they can lift their anchor now - we had stopped over in the morning to let them know our plans and it looked pretty good. Another cold front approaching Sunday night, Monday morning. Forecast has been up and down whether we will get a lot in Staniel, but the Northern Bahamas and the East coast of Florida are going to get clobbered with high winds, possibly 50 - 60 in the Abacos. Problem is there is really nowhere to hide from West winds here, place that are good have 50 boats crammed into tiny places and that doesn't work well either. CP (Chris Parker) has said it'll hit in the morning so we were fine with that thinking only a few hours during the day would it be rough. Well that didn't happen - about 1:30 am winds were up over 30 again and coming from the SW, which were are a bit exposed to. There are islands further out, but not stopping the waves from coming into the anchorage. It was so rough that I moved into the settee to try to sleep and keep my eye on the chart plotter. Not just for us, but the other boats around us with AIS, making sure the big yacht in front of us now wasn't dragging into us (been there before). Pretty rough night almost like trying to sleep in a washing machine. It is now after 10 am, still blowing and CP's forecast this morning wasn't real encouraging. There was no mention of the weather we were getting overnight, actually said winds were under 20, while they have been over 30 all night. He then said the front wouldn't roll through here until 10 or 11, bringing with it squalls and 40-45 knot gust, oh great. Well just hoping the squalls miss us this time and it calms down soon. Thoughts are once the front passes to move over to Blackpoint about 6 miles south. It is a super nice place, but also super exposed to west winds. Capt'n Tim suggested it, but this morning Capt'n Dave was saying he didn't want to move until tomorrow - we'll see. I would much rather move today and get nice nights sleep there and get an early start on laundry tomorrow. Blackpoint has one of the best laundries in the Bahamas - nothing like looking out onto a turquoise anchorage and white sand beaches while folding you clothes. Only problem is another front forecast for Wednesday, but hopefully a mild one. CP said this morning after this one the pattern may change to less frequent fronts, we sure hope so! Still rocking and rolling for now :).

Ok, it's now 10:45 and the squall has moved though, nasty, but we are now facing N and hopefully the winds will start dying down a bit SOON!
Comments
Wayward Sun's Photos - Wayward Sun (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
 
1
32 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
4 Photos
Created 9 April 2019
33 Photos
Created 1 April 2019
22 Photos
Created 13 March 2019
19 Photos
Created 8 March 2019
27 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
38 Photos
Created 6 February 2019
25 Photos
Created 20 January 2019
2 Photos
Created 17 December 2018
Prior Pics
7 Photos
Created 24 September 2018