Weverbird

07 September 2023
25 August 2023
18 August 2023
12 August 2023
06 August 2023
01 August 2023
29 July 2023
21 July 2023 | Cala Rossa, Favignana
20 July 2023 | Crossing Sardinia to Egardi Ilands
18 September 2022
31 August 2022 | Froxfield
12 August 2022
20 July 2022 | Cala Caletta
16 July 2022 | Menorca
09 July 2022
30 June 2022
24 June 2022
20 June 2022 | Cartagena

Port Joinville

19 August 2016
17th August2016
Port Joinville
We have been told many things about Isle d’Yeu by both English and French sailors: firstly that it is superb and secondly that it is impossible to get a berth in the marina in August. So, with that in mind we planned a trip that went from our anchorage on Noirmoutier to call firstly at Isle d’Yeu and continue on to Les Sables de l’Onne on the assumption that Isle d’Yeu would be full. This meant an early start and a 25mile sail against the tide (so that it would be in our favour on the trip to Les Sables). The French, by and large , are pretty good sailors (some might even say the best) and the thought that you could sail without fully optimising the wind and tide is a little alien to them. Consequently, we were the first boat to arrive at Port Joinville, Isle d’Yeu and this, coupled with the mass exodus following the bank holiday, meant we had no difficulty finding a berth. By good luck and a little planning we had achieved the impossible.

Port Joinville is a chaos of cars, bikes, day trippers and tourists and very charming.

In celebration of arrival we booked a table at the most expensive restaurant in town. I had a shower and shave and put on a clean shirt; Susan looked as gorgeous as ever and out we went. Ten minutes after arriving we finally managed to order some aperitifs (kir, of course) but after a further twenty minutes wait no drinks had arrived, no orders placed and we were getting annoyed. Finally we left the restaurant after my pidgin French attempts to explain their rather poor service – it’s at times like this you really need better French than I or Sue has. I’m sure the restaurant staff and other diners thought we were mad but at their prices we expect to be treated a little better. So we wandered around town, without a reservation, and stumbled into a little tapas bar. It was the coolest place. Situated in a courtyard behind a bar with a scattering of tables and good music. Only served charcuterie, smoked fish, cheese and oysters (whatever happens at Assumption it involves eating all the oysters, so they were off) and much wine. The clientele were a study in expensive casual and we had a great time.

The following day we decided to explore the island by bike. Isle d’Yeu is tiny – only 11km x 4km and has cycle and walking paths around the edge and criss crossing the island. We hired two bikes (before the invention of carbon fibre and aluminium) and set off across and around the island. When cycling in England Susan is always 2 miles ahead of me but this time it was impossible if we were both to stay on the same island.
The island has a Mediterranean architectural feel with great beaches, interesting towns, and busy cycle tracks. Hardly any cars and everybody cycles everywhere.
We went to the vieux chateau which I’m sure is the castle from the L’isle noire (Tintin) but that’s not mentioned anywhere perhaps because Herge wasn’t French or because I’m wrong. Nonetheless a very interesting tour at a very reasonable 1€50. That night we went to a simple fish restaurant and amongst other things had some fabulous rillettes du thon as we sheltered from the first rain we have seen since we rounded the top corner of France.

We now understand why the French love Isle d’Yeu
Comments
Vessel Name: Weverbird
Vessel Make/Model: Trintella 42
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Steve, Susan, Sebastian and Felix Tuff
About: place holder
Weverbird's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 7 September 2023
11 Photos
Created 25 August 2023
10 Photos
Created 25 August 2023
12 Photos
Created 13 August 2023
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2023
18 Photos
Created 2 August 2023
4 Photos
Created 29 July 2023
9 Photos
Created 26 July 2023
5 Photos
Created 21 July 2023
No Photos
Created 19 September 2022
No Photos
Created 18 September 2022
17 Photos
Created 20 June 2022
10 Photos
Created 15 June 2022