Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

A sail north continues.... The Big Sur and Santa Cruz

07 August 2015
We raised anchor, stowed loose saloon items, completed our pre-departure checks and motored out of Simeon Bay at 9:10pm, giving the shore a wide berth as we clipped into our safety harnesses, raised the main with one reef, unfurled the Genoa and set a 249 deg course for Point Piedras Blancas some 7 nm away. Our departure was timed to bring us to the Big Sur at sunrise before the predictable morning wind velocity increases. Another magnificent overnight passage adventure begins with Josh and I sharing the night watch duties…Monterey Bay and Santa Cruz Harbor some 98 nm distant or 15 hours sailing lay ahead.

The NW winds through the night held steady around 15 knots, the sea swell at about 1 meter with the occasional white cap hissing its goodbye as it washed across our wake, the moon rising higher in the dark, star-filled, night sky providing its warm and welcoming glow across the ocean, flying fish fleeing our forward progress, each contributing to another amazing night adventure on WheytoGo. Holding our course from Piedras to the Big Sur of 310 deg, the coastline 3 miles distant made visible by the vehicle lights along the highway.

The sun rising above the black rocky coastline mountains heralded in our new day, playing its colorful and spectacular awakening vista, on the Big Sur. The sea life, birds, dolphins and seals wakened and commenced their inquisitive WheytoGo checkout as we passed by.

Point Sur West, Pfeifer Point, Carmel and Pebble Beach Golf course in the distance passed by as we adjusted course in calm seas, 12-15 knots NW for Santa Cruz Harbor, 35 nm across Monterey Bay. Our alternate safety harbor, Monterey, would be a ‘must stop’ port on our return adventure from San Francisco.

We arrived in Santa Cruz late afternoon and docked at the fuel dock overnight, topped up with diesel, a walk to the local laundry, a brief look around the facilities and close by restaurants, bars etc. and retired early after a long, yet absorbingly intriguing, night and day at sea.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015