Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Our Southern Journey, 790 nm, Leg 4 – Santa Maria Cove to Puerto del Cabos

11 February 2016
Steely & Sharon
0640am and we tracked our way out Mag Bay entrance, with just one way-point to Las Tetos Cabos, 152 nm distant at 124 deg. This way-point takes us clear of the ocean currents and turbulent waters [if any] around Lands' End, Cabo San Lucas, from there just 25 nm to Puerto del Cabos...our destination.

Our way-point is set to take us progressively further from the coast which curves inland or east of us where at our furthest angle we will be approx. 40 nm from land. We see a few cruisers on the AIS [automatic identification system] closer to the coast from us as they 'bash' against the winds and waves northbound but for us, a great ride south, winds of 8-12 knots NNW with a following sea swell propelling us forward nicely. We are wing to wing sailing that is, with our main hard to port and our Genoa nicely shaped to starboard. Conservatively we are keeping one engine ticking over to maintain control...just in case!

What's wrong with this picture: The sun rising in the east over the Sierra de la Gigante mountain range casts a shimmering silver glow across the rolling seas, the clear sky deepening in blue across the horizon, the steady 'hiss' as our two hulls splice through the rolling sea, the occasional white cap fluttering off the wave tops, the burbling swell from behind disappears under our stern as we skim quickly forward, a pod of dolphins keeping us company, diving and playing off our bow surge, our two trolling lines trailing expectantly in our wake, birds of the sea soaring on thermals above as they glide effortlessly in search of their next meal. The wisp of crisping bacon rises out of the salon, the soulful harmony of Sol3 Mio through our on-board stereo speakers, a glass of fresh orange juice waiting on our aft table breakfast setting...do I detect mimosa bubbles...a magical reminder, the life for us cruisers is one of continuing magic, our earned dream being realized.

A relaxing day, winds and seas steady, we see cargo and large passenger cruise ships on the radar and AIS some 40 miles away traversing the shipping channel. Our times between reading, helm log and watch duties, a power nap or two. Another magnificent sunset starts to glow as the sun closes in on the horizon, we make preparation for a great 'on the road' dinner and another night of sailing. Darkness sets, the ocean takes on it's dark hidden ever moving aura, no moon so the stars brighten, sparkle and show their patterned skyscape that one never tires of just sitting back and admiring. Searching out the constellations in the northern sky we have become, as ocean cruisers, astronomy observers.

Our final day dawns, all systems smoothly and steadily moving us closer to our Las Tetos Cabo way-point, which we will reach within the hour and then plot the next point off the southern coast of Bahia. As we pass close to the outer banks fishing grounds our starboard trolling line.... screams as our 60lb line unravels and fast disappears to our stern...sailing at 6 knots, our line heading in the opposite direction at least an equal rate...that sharpens up our on-board actions...loosening up the sails we still hold 4 knots and can't stop. Sharon takes the helm, gaff at the ready, on with the standup harness... this will be fun!... at last we have hooked into something 'big'. 40 mins later we reel in a nice tuna and land it onto the stern platform, 'at least 50 lb.' I say. We fillet immediately and freeze 4 very large tuna fillets...fresh tuna, it doesn't get better than that!

The Cape [or Land's End] is in sight, seas glassy with a smooth regular swell rolling behind us silently, urging us safely on. The coastal tourist or retirement resorts perched in clusters along the barren coastal landscape, each with their well-watered bright green golf courses come into view as we close in on the Cabo San Lucas area.

We set our course to take us close to the Cape, fishing boats are sighted as they fast-track to the world renowned deep sea fishing banks around the cape. Sharon, camera in hand, ducks under the billowing Genoa to perch on the bow seat, ready to snap the infamous 'hole in rock'. A cruise ship is anchored off Cabo San Lucas shuttling tourists onto land, whale watching, snorkeling or simply tasting the local cuisine. Resorts, hotels, condominiums, golf courses are stacked along the southern coast...the southern Bahia mecca for holiday tourists and all those USA weather, traffic, bureaucracy bound folks...just escaping to their 'paradise post.'

As we round Punta Palmilla we set our heading directly to the Puerto del Cabos marina entrance...1 hour to go. Furling the Genoa, dropping and stowing the main, getting our fenders and lines out...we are ready to slowly slip into our marina dock. It is 1:30pm, 2 hours ahead of our route plan. Assisted by the marina support team, we tie off, shut down our systems and prepare to imbibe our customary arrival protocol...the Captains rum.

Our journey, 10 days and 790 nm from San Diego to Puerto del Cabos is successfully over...we can close off our log, relax and quietly reminisce together on our amazing experience, this posting we hope, is one small way that we can share with family and others interested in...our magical Pacific cruising adventure.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015