Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Log: Mexico to Hawaii: Heading South

18 April 2017 | 26 08'N:119 29'W, Heading South
Wheytogo Crew
Current Position: Lat 26 08'037 N, Lon 119 29'866 W, Heading 201 deg, SOG 5.8 kts. 3 day ave SOG 5.8kts, Wind 14 kts N, sea conditions - a choppy swell 1 - 1.5 mtrs from N at 12 sec. A cloud covered Pacific, no rain as yet!!
Day 3
With the above bearing - heading south, overnight conditions pleasant sailing. With such conditions, we delayed our one reef overnight until the wind conditions became variable particularly around midnight in went the reef and we settled to a good few hours with consistent winds of 14-18 kts of SOG of 6.5 to 7.4. 1 - 2 mtr swells consistent at 12 sec from N / NW. Early am saw winds drop to 10-12kts. To maintain our move south we motor sailed for 4 hours holding our SOG of 6-6.5kts.
Our first mishap day! First indication of a pending issue was at 6 am at daylight we noticed our No 2 reef line frayed and cut between the boom and the mainsail. On further inspection, the outer boom reefing system [for both reefs and outhaul] was missing one pully hence the frayed and cut reef line.
At least the seas were favorable and winds light, so whilst continuing to head south we set about replacing the reef line in the vacant # 3 reef position. With some Kiwi and Brazilian genius to the fore we completed the reef line replacement, tested and back to full sail just as the winds picked up from the N lifting to 20+ apparent. We have continued throughout the day in conditions as noted above.
A man's tasks are never done!!....so once we settled back after a late breakfast it was water making day, successful of course with another 25 gals of pristine quality potable water - thanks to the beautiful; blue Pacific Ocean. The girls decided...its bread making day [ just like the Walton's] we each have our tasks [grin] The end result was 'interesting' with no doubt further challenges to come. The oven is the suspect notwithstanding the flavors are awesome.
All is good [other than our fishing] as another travel day bubbles beneath our stern, hissing goodbye and returns to that magical and unique Pacific blue waters.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015