Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Log: Mexico to Hawaii: Two week milestone

29 April 2017 | 21 32'N:146 08'W, Day 14 - two week milestone day
Wheytogo Crew
Today marks 2 weeks since we left Baja Mexico on our journey across the Pacific. We have dropped down to latitude 21degrees, bringing us ever closer to our Hawaiian Islands destination, now 667 straight-line miles away. Also bringing us closer to a large, late season low pressure system near Hawaii, which we may have to dodge. The last 3 days have been fraught with squalls all around us, but yesterday afternoon was a gorgeous sailing day: warmer temperatures (finally peeling off the jackets), bright blue skies above and brisk winds (18-26 knots) propelling us along on our W/SW course as we pass the 2/3rd distance milestone. We all sat out on the rear deck, enjoying the magic of the moment. Even the fickle heavens joined in the celebration, presenting us with a series of rainbows, including a full 180deg arc, a parallel set of double rainbows, and 2 sets of "sheet" rainbows, very rare according to Fernando. Surely it was a good omen for the night......not so. As we prepared for night watch, the squall lines began to pop up all around the horizon, creating havoc with wind shifts and big swells. It was a long, adrenaline-filled night for the guys, who took the whole watch, reefing and un-reefing the sails as they watched the squalls arise on radar, not visible in the black night sky. At last, dawn brought calmer seas and patches of blue overhead. The morning has been pleasant so far, though we are keeping a close eye on the developing grey thunderheads. Stay tuned...
Wishing a very happy birthday to my son, Ryan, who turns 26 today. SO SAD to not be with you to celebrate today. Hopefully, we can all be together to celebrate in Hawaii this summer! Xxxxxx Mom
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015