Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Log: Mexico to HawaiI: Waikiki Yacht Club...our final log for this phase of our Pacific Adventure

04 May 2017 | 21.17 : 157.50 Waikiki Yacht Club
Wheytogo crew
This will be our final morning sail, its 3:00am and still dark, that familiar early morning welcome ‘hiss’ as we move stealthily through the seas just 7 nm NE of Molokai shore. This has been a magical journey across 2500 nm of the northern Pacific, a journey of just over 18 days, a journey where each of us has been able to deepen our respect for the sea whilst capturing the magic she has openly shared. Restless and constantly changing, an environment in which we can each say…’we have been one with the sea.’
A glimmer of light like an artist’s palate appears in the eastern sky as the sun rises for a new Pacific day, shades of crimson & orange against the gray and black of the night sky.
The seas, now slowly visible, are disturbed with counter swells from the E and NE... winds slowly consolidating throughout the early morning...shifting we hope to the N as we approach the Kaiwi channel. After a few days of light winds, a change on the way? i wondered...our happy hour rum sacrifice last evening at last had been heard!!
The wind gradually filled in during the morning shifting slowly N as we adjusted towards our channel entry waypoint on the NW of Molokai...the crew with new enthusiasm constantly trimming to extract max go forward... ETA around midday we calculated.
Scanning the horizon for our first site of Oahu was a constant pastime....at last the outline of the Koolau range came over the horizon...a magic feeling to see the land that would serve as our base for the next few months come into view after some 2500 nm of open ocean. As the morning unfolded a celebration of course was customarily observed. We were now really getting close, even our wonderful lady Wheytogo lifted her bow as 15-20 kts of consistent N winds across the channel filled her sails...this was to be a great and magic sailing morning. Cap’n Kiwi reviewing the shoreline charts, adjusting our Diamond Head waypoint to ensure we maintained clearance from its shoreline and importantly set clearance from the navigation buoys on our run up the coast towards Ala Wai.
For those who have seen this coastline along the Waikiki shoreline from Diamond Head from the sea, will know and appreciate, how spectacular it is against the backdrop of tropical and very green elevated hills beyond.
We have experienced a richness that has emboldened us daily to achieve. An experience that exposed one’s weakness yet enabled our strengths to shine. Being 1000nm from any outside support is a sobering state, yet if one can’t accept and manage that risk – you stay still.
Confucius said “When it is obvious that the goals you set cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps”
We have a commitment to deliver for ourselves – our dream. If in some small way what we have enjoyed achieving in pursuit of our dream…. inspires others to strive towards their dream…we leave you with a smile.
We all can be, whoever we want to be. Thank you for joining us on our magical journey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015