Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Headed to the South Pacific

23 April 2019
Ian Steele
Our next Pacific adventure begins, one day later than planned, on a cool Spring morning with low hanging trade clouds over the Ko'olau mountains on the mauka side, obscuring the rising sun. We prepare the sheets, dock lines and fenders for departure, take a group crew picture, ( Ian, myself, Josh and Katy) with smiling faces for the camera, courtesy of our friend and dock mate, Denis, who suggests we take a similar pose on arrival to our next destination for comparison and laughs. We leave the dock, headed out on a due South course, bound for our first stop - Christmas island (Kiribati), anticipating a 5-6 day sailing cruise. We were making excellent time sailing in brisk winds of 25-30kts with one reef in the main. The only downside was the 6 -10 foot swells pounding us continuously dead on our port beam.
Little did we know in that moment that we would return to that same dock in a little more than 48 hours. At 0230 Sunday morning, the starboard engine failed to start during change of watch. Very disconcerting, since the boat had just spent 6 days hauled out to dry dock, where it had undergone extensive tune-ups, bottom paint, new props in preparation for the trip. Strong, pounding swells on our port beam rocked the boat. Combined with total darkness and wet decks, the conditions made it difficult to do a thorough evaluation. Nevertheless, Ian climbed down into the engine compartment and looked for any obvious malfunctions, finding none apparent. Given that we were more than a thousand miles from our first port of call, the decision was made to return to Oahu, where we knew there were adequate resources to haul the boat out of water again, if needed. After 31 hr. of gusting winds and high swells on our starboard beam, we made our way back to Oahu, where reliable services would be available.
We are now safely back in Oahu, and evaluation are underway. Our departure will likely be delayed 7-14 days. Will keep you posted.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015