Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

A Day of Surprises..

03 May 2019 | the Pacific
Wheytogo Crew
Wednesday 1 May 2019 A Day of Surprises�...We were lucky to maintain reasonable progress, even in the lee of Maui and in particular the Big Island. This lee wind shadow is substantially caused by the high mountains of each island. The famous Alenuihaha channel between Maui & the Big island gave us some considerably higher winds and seas, yet was somewhat kind to the passing Wheytogo adventurers. It was a strange moment as we cruised past our turn around point of last week, beyond the Big island winds lee, into the open ocean and the welcomed Pacific North trade winds. With the crew still finding their sea legs much of the watch duties last night fell to us �'older folks.�" Although well- adjusted to sailing life, covering 2 on and 2 off for most of the night was as expected: challenging! Needless to say, some serious power naps were duly taken during this just our second day. Mid-afternoon, winds consistently in the 20-28kts range and swells 3-6 ft, the influence, thoughts and shared experiences of the Hawaiian Islands faded behind our stern �...�...Suddenly !! the VHF radio burst into life �"Wheytogo, Wheytogo, Wheytogo this is fishing vessel Sylvia.�" Rising from another well earned power nap the Captain returned to the helm station to respond. Usual communication protocol and pleasantries unfolded by which time we could see Sylvia close to the horizon, then out of the blue, a most unusual request. �"Captain do you mind if we come over closer to take some photos of your vessel�", �"You�'re very welcome Captain,�" I respond with raised eyebrows. Thinking...mmm a star for a day�... a Honolulu Press reporter...or simply just a respectful sea mariner who spotted and marveled at our beautiful sailing vessel, Wheytogo. I think the latter as we wished each other farewell and following seas. The joys of cruising soon took another turn soon after that encounter. That wonderful sound of fishing line rapidly screeching out from our starboard rod. �"Here we go team, dinner has arrived�" I announce as some very sleepy, queasy feeling, fellow crew appeared to see what all the noise was. Yes, indeed we eventually landed and prepared an awesome Mahi Mahi for both dinner and the freezer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015