Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Day 6 at sea

06 May 2019 | 08 47'N:157 43'W, The Pacific
Wheytogo Crew
Sunday 5 May 2019 0600hrs Lat 08 47�'000N Lon 157 43�'000W The first light of day revealed grey, churning seas and low heavy clouds around the southeastern horizon, with corresponding squall signals on radar. The moist and oppressively -steamy tropical air portended a day of unstable weather and sea state. To our surprise, the squalls in front of us passed to the west and patches of sun and blue sky appeared, motivating Ian to climb on top of the bouncing roof and dance around like Fred Astaire, stringing laundry lines to dry the still -soaked sheets from yesterday�'s waterfall. I was convinced they would all fly away and land in the sea (we had already had one successful �"object overboard�" rescue several days prior when a gust of wind had snatched a canvas cover and tossed it into the sea) but thankfully I was wrong. The ever-present easterly swells pounded our port beam in a most unpleasant fashion through the afternoon, then another sudden change: the winds swung around and began coming from due south, right on our nose, and we were in irons, with luffing sails, followed by a drop-in wind speed to 2-6 knots, which persisted throughout the night. Motors on, genoa furled, we prepared for a long night. The steamy night air was pregnant with threatened rainfall, which eventually provided several needed fresh water baths for the boat. Not our favorite day at sea. The highlight of the day was Mimi�'s mahi-mahi fish tacos- still reaping the benefit of our prize catch. Fair winds and following seas? Tomorrow? Please?

For those statistically minded you may be interested: Distance sailed since departing Honolulu: 926nm Distance to Christmas Island: 262nm Daily run: 154nm Ave per hour: 6.9kts Sailing % [no engine assist]: Port - 87.4%, Starboard �- 72.8% Water produced: 87gal
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015