Pacific Adventures on WheytoGo

Our magical sailing experience has begun....

Spectacular ITCZ sunset views

07 May 2019 | 04 46'N:157 39'W, The Pacific
Wheytogo Crew
Monday 7 May 2019 At last, beautiful skies, beautiful seas, and most importantly gentler swells - the gorgeous day we have all been hoping for. Spirits are high and a sense of anticipation fills the air as we approach Kiritimati (Christmas Island), now less than 200 miles away. Shy has joined the ranks of the living today and his animated smile and offer to make omelets is met with a round of applause. Lounging on the front deck is finally possible without risk of more rogue waves. Mimi works her magic at lunchtime with a delicious fried rice dish with ginger and yummier mahi-mahi before the afternoon skies and radar screen warn of a very large approaching squall line several miles ahead. We batten down the hatches, reef the sails and prepare for heavy rains as we watch a very long and wide band of dark rain clouds approach.

After a brief spike in winds to 30 knots, the deluge comes, providing a thorough rinse for the boat. Then, the winds die completely, and the seas become flat, appearing like sheets of silver-gray silk fabric gently undulating from below, punctuated by large staccato silver raindrops. We stare in wonder as this magical phenomenon continues for a period of time before finally moving on to the northwest. The sun reappears low in the west, backlighting puffy white clouds with a golden halo, as strange horizonal striations streak through. Without question, nature�'s majesty at its finest. We have our first calm sit-down dinner together on the back deck, with spaghetti Bolognese, Chardonnay, and the last of our fresh lettuce salad as a dramatic sunset unfolds�.... ahhhh. It doesn�'t get better than this.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wheytogo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Austin Texas USA
Crew: Ian Steele & Sharon Lockhart
Extra: MMSI 367701140 WDI 4695 Contact email: wheytogo44@gmail.com
Wheytogo's Photos - Main
24 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 30 November 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 June 2015