30 September 2012 | Manasquan Inlet to New Haven CT
30 September 2012 | Atlantic City, NJ
29 September 2012 | Cape May NJ
19 September 2012 | Ending at Cape May
18 September 2012 | Greenwich, NJ
17 September 2012 | Greenwich, NJ
16 September 2012 | Cheasapeake Bay
04 July 2012 | Bell Isle Marina in Hampton, VA
02 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Alligator River Marina in Columbia, NC
30 June 2012 | Dowry Creek in Belhaven, NC
29 June 2012 | Cedar Creek in Adams Creek Canal, NC
28 June 2012 | Beach House Marina - Surf City, NC
27 June 2012 | Southport, NC
25 June 2012
24 June 2012 | Minim Creek, just south of Georgetown, SC
23 June 2012 | Wappoo Creek, south of Charleston Harbor, SC
22 June 2012
27 April 2012 | Beaufort, SC
26 April 2012 | Hilton Head, SC

Leg 3 - Day 12

04 July 2012 | Bell Isle Marina in Hampton, VA
Pam
I'm a day late writing our last blog entry due to exhaustion last night. :-)

We left about 6:00 in the morning to make our way to Hampton, VA -- our final destination this trip for the boat. It was a very hot and humid day, and we were grateful for whatever breeze we could get.

We went through a lock (Great Bridge Lock) for the first time, which was pretty cool. We had to tie up to the side of the lock and then the gate closed. They had to fill the lock with water in order to allow the water level to rise. Then they opened the gate on the other side, where the water level was equal so we could continue on.

Also, we cruised through the world's biggest Navy base in Norfolk, VA. We got to see the boatyard as well as Battleship Row. This was an awesome experience. Lots of container ships in this area as well. We hit Mile Marker 0 on the Intracoastal Waterway at this point and had completed the entire ICW -- 1248 miles at 7 miles per hour....uggghhh!!!

After going through Norfolk, we were in the Chesapeake Bay and got to sail for the last two hours of our trip. We went through Back River and when we got to the channel for Bell Isle Marina, there was a boat anchored right in the middle. It apparently got wrapped up in his line and couldn't move. We saw a guy on a jet ski trying to help, and it turned out to be Mr. Bell. He led us through the channel into the marina. He's a very nice guy and it turns out he's a pilot for a major airline -- one that Jeff frequently flies with. We thought he was drunk when we first started talking to him, but it turns out he's just normally like that.

Last night we got a hotel for the remainder of our stay because it's so freaking hot. This is the first time we've spoiled ourselves over the past week and a half! At the beginning of the trip in Beaufort, SC, Jeff nearly bought an air conditioner for the boat at West Marine. During our travels, we were kicking ourselves for not buying it!!

Went back to the boat this morning to move it to the T-dock. It will stay here for a couple of months (possibly even through the winter). Tomorrow I'll take photos of the marina and the boat. The marina is huge area-wise: a total of 65 acres, 25 acres of land and the remainder is water and swamp. Needs a lot of TLC but Mr. Bell is doing what he can with the time that he has.

We did a total of 493 nautical miles this trip, which is 567 statute miles. We did a bigger portion of the mileage this trip than the other two trips because we had more time.

Thank you to everyone who followed our journey!! We enjoyed sharing our story and photos with you. :-)

Here are the bridges we went through:

1. Pungo Ferry Bridge - 65'
2. North Landing Swing Bridge - 6'
3. Centerville Turnpike Swing Bridge - 4'
4. Albemarle and Chesapeake Railroad Bridge - 7'
5. Highway Bypass Bridge - 65'
6. Great Bridge Bascule - 6'
7. Great Bridge Lock
8. Dominion Boulevard Bridge - 12'
9. Highway Bascule Bridge - 65'
10. Norfolk and Western Railroad Bascule Bridge - 7'
11. Gilmerton Bascule Bridge - 11'
12. Norfolk and Western Railroad Lift Bridge - 10'
13. Jordan Highway Lift Bridge - dismantled
14. N&P Beltline Railroad Lift Bridge - 6'
Comments
Vessel Name: Whip-It
Vessel Make/Model: Maine Cat 30
Hailing Port: East Hampton, CT
Crew: Jeff, Pam, and Maddie and Lucy our furry friends
About: We are from East Hampton, CT. We started this blog to document our sailing adventures!

Who: Jeff, Pam, and Maddie and Lucy our furry friends
Port: East Hampton, CT