SV WHISKEY JACK

Canadian family circumnavigating full time aboard a 2001 Leopard 45.

Yelapa

Friday morning we took a bunch of people out on the boat to Yelapa. It took a couple of hours to motor across Banderas Bay and the swell made us all a bit queasy but it was worth it. We were guided in by Big Bully a local panga who handed us a mooring about 15 feet from the shore. Rockstar draws 6.5ft so we were skeptical we could go that close to shore by he knew the drop off and sure enough there was lots of depth. I think that is the closest we have ever moored to shore. Although he offered to take us all in it was hard to resist jumping off the boat and swimming the short distance to the beach. Yelapa is an ex hippie escape and there's not a lot to explore right on the beach but some seaside restaurants. Behind the beach dune we found a small shallow inlet with millions and millions of tiny frogs and tadpoles all in different stages of growth which was really neat to see; we could pick up handfuls of them. We stayed long enough for a yummy lunch on board and then raised the sails for a smooth sail back to Nuevo Vallarta. If we have time I'd like to go back and explore the waterfalls and village Yelapa is famous for.


Comments