Whisper Sailing

Bill and Judy's adventures continue..........

25 February 2019 | Ragged Islands, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
06 February 2019 | Warderick Wells Exuma Park
22 January 2019 | Alabaster Bay, Eleuthera
22 December 2018 | Spanish Wells Eleuthra
25 February 2018 | Exumas, Bahamas
21 November 2017 | George Town, Exuma
24 April 2017 | Bahamas
03 April 2017 | Thompson Bay
31 March 2017 | Great Exuma
28 February 2017 | Palm Cay Marina
17 February 2017 | Palm Cay Marina, Nassau, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | Little Farmers Cay, Exemas
14 January 2017 | Exuma Bahamas
26 December 2016 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas
19 December 2016 | Devils Cay, Berry Islands
19 December 2016 | Addison NASA Bridge
19 December 2016 | Cave Cay to Spence Rock
04 December 2016 | Abacos Bahamas
12 November 2016 | Jacksonville Beach FL

Time to Start Heading South

01 November 2015 | Chesapeake Bay
As the weather turned cooler (yes, we put on the second comforter and even turned on the heater when we had shore power), the calendar was telling us it was time get moving south. Russ and Lisa had a plane to catch on November 4th to go back to Milwaukee for Liz's wedding so we needed to plan our time carefully. We sailed back west across the Chesapeake in a couple of long days to a few more harbors as we worked our way south.

Solomon's Island was just an overnighter, but we stayed in Reedville for several days as we waited out some nasty weather on the Bay. The town boasted a terrific maritime museum where we learned about the menhaden fishing industry, and the best deal on hard shell crab. We lunched on 3 dozen for $40, outside on a picnic table, using a winch handle and a meat tenderizer for crab crackers. We were very disappointed however, that we were not able to take the ferry to Tangier Island, as we missed their last run of the season by a week.

The next stop was Fishing Bay near Deltaville. The bay was an out of the way spot that required hitch-hiking to the 7-11 for eggs and milk. Luckily the marina let us use their lounge to watch the Packer game that lasted way too late into the Sunday night. The yacht club was closed and we couldn't find any bars within walking distance.

Finally we arrived in Norfolk, our re-provisioning stop and Uproar's home while Russ and Lisa were traveling. We stayed at Little Creek, which is directly across from the Naval Yard with lots of ships (and boats with guns mounted on them to keep you away).

Everywhere we go we are amazed at the number of sailboats of every make and model and Norfolk was no exception. Many of them are 80s and 90s cruisers or old IOR racers. The hot shot racing boats must live elsewhere.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whisper
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34-2
Hailing Port: Milwaukee WI
Crew: Bill and Judy
Social:
Whisper's Photos - Main
Every shade of blue-green-purple greets our eyes on a continuing basis
15 Photos
Created 24 April 2017
Our first island anchorages were in the Berries. Sugar sand beaches, clear blue water, conch and starfish, everyday a new wonderful experience.
10 Photos
Created 16 April 2016
We are spending over a week in Bimini waiting for weather to cross to the Berry Islands (a 75 mile crossing that will require two good days). So we walk, drive, and dinghy our way around North Bimini to learn about the land and the people.
20 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
There were many projects we did to upgrade Whisper to a more efficient, comfortable, safe and enjoyable boat.
7 Photos
Created 10 January 2016
The many contrasting scenes on the Intercoastal Waterway
36 Photos
Created 25 December 2015
Our favorite anchorage on the eastern shore. The cove featured St Martin Point house and grounds, a 19th century home with accommodations for eighteen people, currently available as vacation rental. Dan, the caretaker invited us to explore the house and grounds.
14 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
Workboat Festival
8 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
7 Photos
Created 25 October 2015
Boat show
6 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
Highlights of our stay in the Big Apple
14 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
Fixed bridges, lift bridges, railroad bridges, road bridges, bridges to nowhere.
8 Photos
Created 13 September 2015
"I stayed too long at the fair"
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2015
5 Photos
Created 1 September 2015
I walked from the yacht club to the downtown area to purchase a nautical chart at the general store. Charming homes from the mid-1800s with fenced in yards and patios. Main square at City Hall has umbrella tables and chairs to enjoy the fresh air. Lots of interesting shops and restaurants, wished we could stay longer.
7 Photos
Created 27 August 2015
Transiting the 243 miles of the Trent Severn Waterway system
5 Photos
Created 25 August 2015
Into the Georgian Bay
7 Photos
Created 6 August 2015
We took Whisper on a loop through the French River Small Craft Route with Russ and Lisa onboard. Uproar can't do the route because of depth...and maybe width!
8 Photos
Created 3 August 2015
We spent the past week attempting to show Sue all of our favorite places... we got in quite a few!!!
7 Photos
Created 23 July 2015
First anchorage in Canada
4 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
Scenes from one of our favorite places on Lake Michigan
5 Photos
Created 10 July 2015
Preparation for our extended cruise from Milwaukee, WI to the Bahamas and ????
3 Photos
Created 17 June 2015