South for the Winter

Rucker Family Boating in the Keys

02 January 2007 | Key Largo
27 December 2006 | Key Largo
26 November 2006 | Key Largo
25 November 2006 | Key West
24 November 2006 | Naples
23 November 2006 | Clearwater
18 November 2006 | Clearwater
17 November 2006 | Carrabelle
16 November 2006 | Panama City Marina
15 November 2006 | Dog River
13 November 2006 | Dog River Mobile Bay
12 November 2006 | On the Black Warrior River
11 November 2006 | On the Tombigbee Mile 366.3
10 November 2006 | Same as yesterday
09 November 2006 | Aqua Harbor Marina
08 November 2006 | Green Turtle Bay
07 November 2006 | Upper Mississippi Mile 1.3
06 November 2006 | Kaskaskia River Lock
23 October 2006 | Grafton
05 August 2006 | Chicago, IL

Day 16 (We Made It!)

26 November 2006 | Key Largo
JR/Low 80s Sun
"Someplace on the Horizons far away from the Neon sky I know there is something better and I can get there if I try� Joe Walsh. This lyric often passes through my mind and today as we pulled into Key Largo it did once again. Its times like this I wish I was a poet I just can't find the words express the feeling of accomplishment and at the same time the marvel over the Caribbean atmosphere down here.

We ran on the Atlantic side of the Keys inside Hawks Channel through the reef today. There are very few makers and you just have to pay attention to the Chart Plotter! The boat and crew did great! It was a little choppy occasionally 3 foot waves with 20mph winds that blew the water over the top of the boat making it seem worse than it was but nothing compared to yesterday. About 45 minutes from Key Largo the sun came out and the waves all but went away. Nathan noticed how blue the water was and that you can see the bottom in 23 feet of water. In some places there was a lot of Sea Grass covering the bottom making the water look dark blue and other areas with just sand and they show up as a lighter blue green. It is unlike anything I have seen on a Lake or River. It just feels like there is a living reef underneath the boat waiting to be explored. We passed several of the common dive sites and they looked to be packed with dive boats. Nathan and I dove here earlier this summer and we cant wait to go out again on our own boat!!

Marina Del Mar is a small marina at the end of a very narrow channel and we are extremely lucky to have a slip here (Thanks to Howard for the suggestion on this place!!). We share a narrow channel with several dive boats, a very big glass bottom boat, fishing boats, charter sail boats, and the real African Queen from the move! We are right next door to very nice Dive Shop / Restaurant and have access to 4 pools and 3 hot tubs at the three hotels that encircle the marina. Over the back of the boat is a tall Coconut tree almost close enough for the Coconuts to fall on us! This is a boaters paradise!

Now the fun begins! We will be returning for long weekends to boat and dive in the keys over the winter.
Comments
Vessel Name: Whos Your Daddy
Vessel Make/Model: SeaRay 48 Sundancer
Hailing Port: Grafton, IL
Crew: John Rucker
About: Charlene Rucker, Nathan Rucker, Brad Rucker