04 July 2012 | Solomons Island, MD
04 July 2012 | Hampton, VA
04 July 2012 | Atlantic ocean outside VA Beach
04 July 2012 | Georgetown, SC
26 June 2012 | Charleston, SC
21 June 2012 | Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
16 June 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Bahamas
15 June 2012 | Great Guana Cay, Bahamas
15 June 2012 | Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
15 June 2012 | Marsh Harbor, Bahamas
13 June 2012 | Great Guana Cay, Bahamas
13 June 2012 | Treasure Cay, Bahamas
13 June 2012 | Marsh Harbor, Bahamas
06 June 2012 | Little Harbor, Abaco, Bahamas
06 June 2012 | Eleuthera, Bahamas
03 June 2012 | Little San Salvador, Bahamas
02 June 2012 | Cat Island, Bahamas
28 May 2012 | George Town, Exuma Bahamas
27 May 2012 | Conception Island, Bahamas
27 May 2012 | George Town, Exuma Bahamas

Back again.

06 June 2012 | Eleuthera, Bahamas
Robin
May 5, 2012

We're starting to make our way back home now with our first stop of the return trip in Eleuthera. Won't be making many stops in Eleuthera because John wants to get to Spanish Wells to have the bushing repaired on the boat. Once we get the work done, if we can get the part that is, we'll head for the Abacos and spend the rest of our time sailing there and the nearby islands with family and friends! Yes, we have several visitors coming to stay with us on the boat over the next few weeks. Steve, my brother-in-law, Owen's friend Sam, Evan's girlfriend Lisa and John's sister and brother-in-law Patsy and Rob will all be coming down at different times to help us finish our time here in the Bahamas. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Michael and Deb rented a car for a day and we drove from Rock Sound to almost the Northern part of Eleuthera. It's a big island with lots of little settlements along the west coast to visit. We drove through most of the settlements John and I had anchored during our first trip to Eleuthera.

We took Deb and Michael to the little bar in Hatchet Bay for a drink, lunch at Cocodimama and a walk on the pink beach where John and I recreated the scene from the movie, "Here to Eternity".



When we returned to the dinghy dock after a wonderful day touring the island we found the pier filled with locals watching the fisherman clean their catch of the day. I was happy to see so much conch because it had been a while since I was able to buy any.



John was worried about the propeller falling off because of a bad bushing so we sailed up to Hatchet Bay for an overnight anchorage. We didn’t go ashore because it was about 5:00 pm when we arrived and planned an early departure the next day so the tide would be in our favor. We motored through the cut when we left Hatchet Bay after an overnight anchorage heading for Spanish Wells.



Michael and Deb's boat sailing along side us on the way to Spanish Wells.



It took us most of the day to get to Spanish Wells but once we did John was able to find a boat yard to order the part and schedule an installation to take place in a couple of days – just hope the weather holds.

Once we were settled in we knew it was going to be a few days before the part arrived so we set out to catch up on some chores – laundry mainly with two weeks of laundry waiting to be done. The only place in town to do laundry was at CW Groceries and after buying tokens were told that we could locate the machines in the back of the building – much to our surprise we found a washer and dryer in a shed in the back of the building. It’s always a challenge when doing the laundry.

Of course the arrival of the part was delayed and would take a couple of extra days to come by ferry but John did manage to make arrangements to installed the part the same day so we could leave that afternoon. John got to test out how well the part was installed first hand on the way out the channel when we hit a large rock or coral, hard! I nearly went over the side while putting the fenders in the crew cabinet at the bow of the boat. The guys jumped into action and started checking around inside the boat for any major water leaks. After a quick check of the boat found that we weren’t taking on water but we were however stuck on the rock. Luckily several fishermen were on their way back to Spanish Wells and stopped to offer assistance. It took some doing though to get us off the rock with one boat portside giving a gentle push while the other boat was starboard pulling on a line from the mast to cause the boat to lean while John was at the helm giving the engine full throttle. It worked and everyone let out a cry of joy when the boat started moving forward. An early mother’s day present one of the guys said from the boat.


Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Wicked Witch, 1997 Beneteau 50
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau/Moorings 50
Hailing Port: St. Thomas, USVI
Crew: The Inkley's - Captain John and Robin (aka Wicked Witch)
About:
John has been sailing since he was seven in the UK. After college he spent time as a Charter Skipper in the Mediterranean. Robin was introduced to sailing after meeting John. Together they spent three years sailing a Columbia 36 on the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis, MD. [...]
Extra:
The boat is located at Solomons Island, MD and we'll be blogging about our cruising experiences on the Chesapeake with family and friends. S/V Wicked Witch - the hull was designed by Bruce Farr & Associates, long-standing specialists in racing yachts combined with substantial design input from [...]
S/V Wicked Witch, 1997 Beneteau 50's Photos - Main
Started the trip back home on June 25, 2012 up the ICW at Charleston, SC. Had to take a detour back out to the Atlantic Ocean to Norfolk and entered the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Final destination Solomons Island, MD on July 2, 2012.
20 Photos
Created 4 July 2012
June 20, 2012 Leaving Abaco, Bahamas for the US.
19 Photos
Created 20 June 2012
June 4-15, 2012 and Patsy and Bob are with us for 10 days sailing around the Abacos Cays.
32 Photos
Created 15 June 2012
We arrived in Little Harbor on Mother's Day, May 13 and will be cruising the area with visitors until we head home the end of June.
37 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
May 5, 2012 anchored at Rock Sound and Hatchet Bay on our way up to Spanish Wells
4 Photos
Created 6 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2012
We arrived at Cat Island on April 28, 2012 and spent a few days anchored in Bight and Fernandez Bay.
44 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
An annual event at George Town.
14 Photos
Created 28 May 2012
We spent a couple of nights at Conception Island with our friends Al and Sue that we met in George Town.
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Great Exuma Island with most of the photos taken while in George Town.
53 Photos
Created 28 March 2012
7 Photos
Created 23 March 2012
9 Photos
Created 15 March 2012
Photos from our stay in Northern Exuma
19 Photos
Created 7 March 2012
The end of our sailing trip in Eleuthera included anchorages at Governor's Harbour, Pineapple Cay and Rock Sound.
13 Photos
Created 7 March 2012
February 16-18, 2012 Nice overnight anchorage and walking trip to the beach on the other side of the island.
12 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
February 11-16, 2012 Hatchet Bay was a man-made entrance into a landlocked pond. Great protected harbor with a small settlement to visit.
7 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
February 10-11, 2012 Both overnight anchorages making our way to Hatchet Bay.
16 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
February 8, 2012 Spanish Wells, Eleuthera is known for lobster - 75 percent of the nation's annual production is exported to markets worldwide from here.
15 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
Our first stop in Eleuthera after leaving Nassau.
6 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
Pictures from West Bay and Nassau.
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
Pictures from our stay at Chub Cay.
3 Photos
Created 27 January 2012
Pictures from our stay in North Bimini, Bahamas
18 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
Days leading up to our departure from Ft Lauderdale and our arrival at North Bimini
16 Photos
Created 13 January 2012
Bringing in the New Year at Key Biscayne, FL
23 Photos
Created 9 January 2012
Pictures of our days diving and provisioning the boat.
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2011
Our first overnight stay on the boat and away from the slip was in Key Biscayne, FL. Beautiful area and John was finally able to get the boat out and see how she would hold up.
11 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
Pictures of the boat at the Playboy Marina getting refitted for our cruising trip and living aboard while in a slip at Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
12 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
Reflecting with family in 2011 leading up to our departure.
20 Photos
Created 24 December 2011