Wild&Woolly (archives)

_______________________________ Check out our new adventures at sailblogs.com/member/gumnuts _______

05 June 2014
08 March 2014 | Continue to follow our journey ...
01 January 2014 | Check out the web link for details
01 January 2014 | Bar, Montenegro
27 September 2013 | Bari, old town.
27 September 2013 | Bar to Bari by ferry
26 September 2013
25 September 2013
24 September 2013
23 September 2013 | AD Marina, Bar, Montenegro
19 September 2013
18 September 2013
17 September 2013 | ACI Marina, Dubrovnik
16 September 2013 | Dubrovnik, Croatia
14 September 2013 | Slano and Mali Zaton (Near Dubrovnik)
13 September 2013
12 September 2013 | Korcula, Croatia
10 September 2013 | At anchor opposite Badija Monastery, Korcula
09 September 2013 | Palmizana

The other 'Blue Lagoon'

09 July 2013 | Comino, Malta
On our last day in Malta we finally got the Raymarine gear all working, thanks to an incredibly good Maltese engineer called Kurt. Also thanks to the replacement SPX30 Course Computer that was needed to be changed (among many other things). So, off we went to the Customs and Immigration only to find out that my passport is showing as stolen in their computers. Whoops ... Seems I needed to advise the Swiss Police that it was returned after my big theft in Geneva in May last year. Thanks to the most friendly Policeman we've ever met it was all fixed up in a jiffy. We mentioned that we might like to anchor overnight in the 'Blue Lagoon' at Comino ... He just told us twice he hadn't heard us :)
Great anchorage in a most beautiful location. Shallow depths, clear water and a sandy bottom make for the most amazing blues. Plus ... Of course, heaps of tourists including boats with blaring music full of young kids having fun ... At least they left early enough to leave the three boats at anchor a blissful night with a flat calm. It is an amazing place geographically though.
PS - yep, they're my brown legs and the water is 10 metres deep under them!

Meeting great people

06 July 2013 | Malta / Gozo
We've already started meeting the most amazing people. One of them, Peter and his pals Alan and John turned up one morning in an old Moody. They are all over 70 years old, full of life and energy and love sailing. Turns out Peter is a professional Captain, having been master of boats all his adult life (starting with the Merchant Navy). They all lived in Gozo and insisted we must get up to visit them. So we did, and wow, what a great weekend. BBQ at Peter's, tour of the small island in the afternoon and the pleasure of being part of the Festa at Ghasri. Each Church at this time of year has a celebration week for their special Saint. All the family come out into the streets and the band plays. Then there are the most incredible fireworks, but think military firing range for sound - unbelievable! Thanks Peter and crew!

Malta memories

01 July 2013 | MIYY
This posting is designed to whet your appetite ... From the 'old way' of looking at things (pre retirement) you would imagine we would be impatient and frustrated at the slow speed that everything has been done. On the contrary, as our first month of a new life it couldn't have been better. We're relaxed and enjoying the fact that for once in our lives WE literally have time. It's also been good adjustment month to just living on the boat, not trying to live and sail the boat (although we could easily have done so). After 4 weeks, we know where everything is, we can pop up to a particular store and buy that special thing to improve something or other.
Add to that the fact that we've found the Maltese people and Malta itself to be really good people and a great place to live. Mediterranean feel with English language and people understanding they live on an Island with great history and context in the Region.
This picture is a small 'local' restaurant under the walls of Valetta where we had the most amazing Swordfish lunch. Just WOW.

We wiggled a bit

28 June 2013 | Malta at MIYY
So, go to Marine Traffic (App or web site), find us and then press 'Show Track' ... And ... You'll see the picture below. Yahoo, our AIS (Automatic Identification System) is working at last.

This track represents our sea trials and our attempt to get the Raymarine gear all working this afternoon (Thursday). Unfortunately it didn't ... But, no problem. Since we had the expert on board he could see the extra layer to our never ending problems getting everything working. Prior to this he had to connect the VHF correctly, move the Fluxgate compass and install a new chart plotter - and the conclusion? They're ordering a new course computer since its not working either!

Should be here by next Monday so we're still stuck in Malta. However, it's a really worthwhile problem to sort out for the benefit of the next 7 years or so ....

Grand Harbour tour

27 June 2013 | Malta (still)
The technology we use today never ceases to impress me. Here I am sitting on our boat, 5 km offshore from the coast of Italy using an Italian 3G SIM card in my iPad that is set up as a personal hotspot so Shiree and I can both log on with our Macs. This is the first time I've had good access to process a video we made in Malta and upload it to YouTube.
So, that's my blog today ... Technology rules - Yhey! Oh yes, and a video link to see our trip round Grand Harbour in our dinghy (affectionately called 'Black Duck'). This was a 7 nautical mile trip (see picture of our route) and we needed a petrol refill on the way round. But it was worth it. CLICK HERE to see for yourself ...

Back in the water

20 June 2013 | Malta
Finally, we made it back into the water where the boat belongs. One of my new toys is a Go Pro sports camera, the type you see people strap on thier heads and jump off cliffs or ski down impossible slopes filming all the way. So, Wild & Woolly made her first video - of the relaunch! Check us out on You Tube, click here.

Still in the yard

08 June 2013 | Manoel Island Yacht Yard
Still sitting up on the hard stand waiting for a couple of 'under the waterline' jobs to complete before putting the boat back in the water - most likely next Wednesday, the day before Shiree arrives.
Thursday night it blew 25 knots and living aboard while being 'up in the air' supported by poles was quite an experience. The movement comes from the pressure on the mast and rigging and is quite noticeable. I've settled into a nice rhythm at the moment. Stuff everywhere, a real batchelor pad while I resort everything, fix a few things, add some wiring for a new audio system etc. better get it all cleaned up before the Captain arrives!
Vessel Name: Wild & Woolly
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau, Sense 43
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Martin & Shiree
About:
We set sail from Antibes in 2012 in our wonderful new Sense 43 for a 5 year cruise of the Med. Cap'n Grub is skipper, having passed her RYA Day Skipper course the Dastardly Deckscrubbing Deckhand may have sailed halfway round the world and have a Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate ... [...]
Extra: If you want to keep following our adventures, check out www.sailblogs.com/member/gumnuts or www.gumnuts.info