Paul and Priscilla's Baja Sailing Adventure

30 June 2013 | Tahoe City
16 February 2012 | San Francisco Bay / Tahoe City
13 February 2012 | Richmond Yacht Club
31 January 2012 | Santa Barbara
30 January 2012 | Me, Tahoe....Them, San Diego-ish
20 January 2012 | Tahoe
18 January 2012 | Cabo San Lucas
23 December 2011 | Us? Tahoe City ; Wind Spirit? La Paz
20 December 2011 | Todos Santos
19 December 2011 | Isla Ispiritu Santo
16 December 2011 | Marina Palmira
01 December 2011 | Tahoe City, California
21 November 2011 | La Paz
17 November 2011 | Marina Palmira
11 November 2011 | Bahia Frailes
10 November 2011 | Puerto Los Cabos
07 November 2011 | Puerto Los Cabos
05 November 2011 | Cabo San Lucas
30 October 2011 | Mag Bay - AKA Bahia Santa Maria
28 October 2011 | In Turtle Bay - Short Post

La Paz - Long Post

17 November 2011 | Marina Palmira
Whale....little black dot by the other boat.....some photog I am....

We left Frailes on Saturday, Nov 12 at 7:50 am heading to Los Muertos. Nearby is a marine preserve reef that we were hoping to snorkel, so we were really looking forward to spending a day or two in this bay. The resort, we heard, had a pool and a restaurant that welcomed yachties and there was a funky cantina on the other end of the bay. Our log shows that we arrived at 2 pm after a great sail with following winds and seas for the second half of the trip. We immediately launched our dinghy to was a bit rough, but we were hoping that it would lie down like it had in Frailes the previous night.....Not So! By the time we made a quick tour of the bay, didn't even go on land, it was getting dangerous to get back on the boat! That fast!
It turns out that everyone was caught off guard. Boats who had their dinghies already shipped, pulled up anchor and started the parade of boats going anywhere else. Like the night before, the waves were coming into the mouth of the bay, so instead of protecting us from the waves, we were all in danger of being washed up on the beach..... Then the wind changed, so that it was holding the boat so that the waves were coming at us broadside and violently rolling the boat from side to side. Not fun..... of course things were flying off the shelves down below, and we tried to relocate everything to a safe place, but still had some casualties... (Don't worry Jess, the Scurvy Be Gone didn't move an inch..Wilson, however, leaped to the floor). The chatter on the radio told us that everyone who already had their dinghy aboard was heading out, and those of us with it in the water, had to wait it out. We got lucky and as the rollers began to take a rhythm and subside a little, we were able to time the waves, get the outboard onto its perch and haul up the dinghy. Anchor came up easily and we were off for anywhere else. We heard later that one guy actually broke his leg trying to get his anchor up on the bow that was rising and falling into the waves. (We should see him tonight, crutches and all, and I'm sure he won't pay for a drink!!!!)
At 9 pm we put up the usual "vertical Dacron stabilizer" and headed for La Paz. That entailed going through two narrow-ish channels and around 4 corners. (We basically made a big U Turn). Cape-Effect winds around the corners registered up to 25k so I'm told. (I told Paul not to tell me at the time and he told me anyway...) We just kept reducing the "stabilizer" to keep us as comfortable as possible and motored into La Paz at first light on Sunday morning, Nov 13.
So 7:50 am to 7 am is pretty much a 24 hour travel day. We were pooped, but happy to be at the Costa Baja Fuel dock. We relaxed for a couple of hours until someone came to work to check us into the port, and headed to our slip. A brief nap worked for a while, but sleep really came as soon as it started to get dark, which is about 5:45pm around here.
We've since moved to Marina Palmira and contracted for a slip here until Dec 15th. La Paz looks like a nice place to explore, 250,000 people and lots of history. There are some great island coves just north of here with snorkeling and another preserve. There are whale sharks out in the bay and you can take a dive boat, or your own dinghy to snorkel with them....they don't eat people, so we just might do that!
Five loads of laundry later, we're happy to be here with a bunch of other HaHa boats, many of whom are headed on to all sorts of different places. There's a party tonight, kind of a Welcome-to-La-Paz-all-you-Baja HaHa'ers and an Adios-to-all- those-moving-on. I think we'll go....

Trip Log : 1300.96 nm
Vessel Name: Wind Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 466
Hailing Port: Pt.Richmond / Tahoe City
Crew: Paul and Priscilla Zaro
About: Paul is a retired ABC7 cameraman and Priscilla is still dabbling in bookkeeping...from various ports!
Extra: We're leaving our slip at Richmond Yacht Club around Sept 15, 2011 to harbor hop south and travel to Cabo San Lucas with the Baja HaHa 2011. We have no further plans yet, just stay tuned for updates!
Wind Spirit's Photos - Main
4 Photos
Created 29 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2012
48 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
7 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
33 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
15 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
28 Photos
Created 10 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
37 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
43 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
26 Photos
Created 17 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
13 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
17 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
30 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 4 October 2011
Thawing out....
11 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
More fog...really?
11 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
Love Monterey!!
3 Photos
Created 23 September 2011
Worker Bees, empty slip....FOG...
6 Photos
Created 23 September 2011