Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Leaving Petersburg

09 October 2010 | Petersburg Harbor
Bill, STILL in the rain!
Here's the latest. We will leave Wings here in Petersburg. We'll leave her "on the hard", that is, on land, propped up on jack stands and resting on her keel. We'll haul her this afternoon and have her in the yard an hour after that. We'll pressure-wash her hull as soon as we can after hauling, just to prepare her for painting next year. The owner of the yard has a unique trailer that uses hydraulically-operated pads to support the vessels up to 30 tons. At 13 tons, we're no problem. He even dropped by as we were folding sails and used an underwater camera to locate our keel and propeller so that he could set up the trailer correctly. She can't sink so all those distance problems of having major problems and not being able to get to the boat will be lifted from our shoulders. Whew!

We had a terrible time pulling sails yesterday: one hassle after another. We did finally get them off the boat, folded, and in bags. While Conni was in the bosun's chair at the masthead, she also removed the Windex and new Raymarine wind instruments, so no need to do send her up the mast again this year. Next year, she'll assume the position, as they say, and install both instruments to the masthead. I, for one, and glad she's so light since it's I who must hoist her up the damn mast!

We'll stay aboard her from this afternoon until Thursday (Oct. 14), completing winterization requirements, then fly to Wankerage next Thursday, arriving at 2:30 PM or so. The cats can't stay in the same kennel, so we had to locate and purchase another. They fly at $100 each: high, we think.

Of course we'll leave the winter cover on the boat. It's been stored below our bunk since we left. We've also rented a "heated storage" for sails, cushions, and instruments. The temperature in these units isn't warm, but it doesn't freeze and that's enough, I guess. Fortunately, it's close to the storage yard, so that we can even walk items to storage. We'll call a cab for our ride to the airport.

More than likely, we won't be in touch until we are in Wankerage. Don't fret. We'll be available by phone if needed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.