Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Still in Newport

24 June 2011 | Newport, OR
Bill
It's been sunny but blowing like stink the past two days. We took that time to get engine work done for the last step down the coast. We changed oil and filter, changed transmission fluid, added oil to various oil-needing-items, and restocked things that we needed. When we do leave on Sunday, I think we'll be set for the rest of the trip.

Our dear friends, Holly McLean, husband Richard, and daughter Emma, plan to drop by on Sunday, after which we will leave scenic Newport, weather permitting.

Today, we rented a car, and after completing some re-stocking tasks, drove to Corvallis to meet up with friends of the Galins, the Esterlings, who own a vineyard just outside Corvallis. What a lovely place! Their home is beautiful, by their design, and their vines are also lovely. They predominantly grow Pinot Noir, but some Pinot Gris as well. They sell their grapes to Spindrift Cellars to produce the wine (http://www.spindriftcellars.com/) Bob and Kim Esterling were delightful hosts and Bob was, apparently, interested in Physics: needless to say, he won over Bill's heart! In addition, both are mechanics and "can do" people so they got along famously. Conni and Kim also meshed well.

We'll have cocktails and champagne with our Canadian friends, Doug and Lynn. How much fun! They're celebrating their first ocean passage and we're glad to help.

Tomorrow, Holly, Richard, and Emma arrive, we hope. We're not sure what we'll do but the five of us lived at our house for many days and know that we're completely compatible. Can't wait!

We arrived in Corvallis a bit early, so we found a local winery, Springhill Winery (http://www.springhillcellars.com/). The owner came strolling out of his house carrying two boxes of glasses (which Bill helped carry) and we had him and his excellent wine to ourselves. They make great Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris. Owner and winemaker Mike McLain has also started making a fine Port as well. We purchased a few bottles for ourselves. Mike and his wife Karen started making wine from estate-grown grapes in 1988, some of the first Oregon Pinot growers in the Willamette valley. He's an interesting person and a true visionary. In 1976, when he started thinking about growing grapes, no one thought that Oregon was a possible site for it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.