Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Work in La Paz

10 February 2013 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, MX
Tired Bill
I arrived here in La Paz last Monday, blazing through Mexican customs easily, even with a big duffle and blue box crammed full of equipment and supplies. Our shipping agents here, ECONAVIERA, supplied a 30 page import permit that listed every nut and bolt that I carried. It was so daunting that that its shear complexity reduced the customs inspector's enthusiasm to perform a serious search. Wonderful! SeƱora Chavez even included a ride to the Atalanta yard in her fees and I arrived quickly and efficiently at the boat with my load of gear.

So much to do, but the main items were to prepare the boat for re-entering the water again, installing our new desalinator, installing a new roller furler, installing a new AC charger, and stowing a mountain of new equipment and supplies.

Prepping the boat for launch included washing and sanding the old paint and re-painting the hull, replacing zincs, greasing the sea cocks and propeller, and doing a complete check of everything that lived underwater. Took a few days! My carefully laid plan to have the two gallons of bottom paint awaiting me here in La Paz was foiled completely by some kind of shipping SNAFU but I found a gallon of light blue bottom paint that we had stashed for use as a "signal coat". When you see the signal coat's color, it's time to re-apply bottom paint. We now have a blue hull rather than our usual red. Yes, change is good, but I would have been happier if I had found enough to paint the entire hull! Coverings the red with blue just took more paint, so some areas on the flat parts of the bottom remain red. Funny and not so funny.

I've made some progress on the desalinator install, building the shelf that supports the 44 pound pump/AC motor, and boost pump. I've mounted the two sets of filters and have an idea for the new valve and pre-filter, too. I'm taping water from a 3/4" through hull/sea cock system that provides water to the aft head, and that function needs to remain. The 3-way valve will allow us to direct sea water to the head, as usual, or to the pre-filter of the desalinator.

A professional rigger will arrive tomorrow morning to help with the new roller furler and forestay install. I've got to re-reave the two halyards toady, too.

Sergio-the-stainless-steel-guy will arrive at some point to repair our rudder cage. At $1K, it won't be cheap but is necessary

I leave for AK on Feb 14, and we both return to MX on Feb. 28. Our flight back to AK will be from Tahiti! Conni has found a "safe" boat yard in Raiataia, and we think that we'll leave the boat out of the water there. It's not cheap but she can't sink.

Having the boat in the water I'd so much nicer than having her on the hard on stands. She's happier and I'm happier.

This is my first post using our iPad. I can post Blogs but no photos. I'll get them posted when I return to AK.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.