Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

The Night Before Leaving...

25 March 2013 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, Mexico
Anxious Bill
We awakened early for our last day of work before leaving. We hosted our zarpe health inspector, and our agent, as they came by for the "health inspection". The health inspector sat in the cockpit and asked if we had insects aboard. No? He completed some paperwork and left. That'll be US$100, please. Sigh.

We opened the whisker pole tube to find….a usable, ready to go whisker pole?

No.

We found a whisker pole from which someone, somewhere, some time, had removed an end fitting. I am not kidding you. So, after all the waiting, huge expense, we have no usable pole. I'll try to fabricate something for use when we get out of town. West Marine and Forespar are now fighting about who's responsible. Sigh.

Ah, the zarpe. Conni goes to pay for it. It's ready. Destination? Tahiti?

No.

San Diego. San Diego? Have any of us EVER mentioned San Diego? No. We'll try to have that sorted before we leave.

Oh, yeah…the freshwater pump failed today. Replacement is US$240 here in La Paz. The thing has worked flawlessly for many years and it failed today. I suppose the silver lining attitude is that it's better here than somewhere in the South Pacific where we'd never get a replacement.

It's been an expensive and frustrating day!

Results of the day:

The zarpe was changed to Tahiti. The zarpe was hand delivered to us with my name forged on the document swearing that the REAL destination was always Tahiti. Works for me.

We bought a new freshwater pump and I installed it, and got the wiring straight. So, what's the word on our freshwater pump? It wasn't the pump! When it didn't work, I did check the voltage to the pump, but it showed 13 V at the pump. The problem? Bad wires that I replaced. It's much quieter than the old one and we have a spare.

The missing whisker pole end might be available for me to install in Cabo. We'll wait until tomorrow to find out whether Forespar will spring for the dollars to ship it.

This is our last night in La Paz. The next two will be in coves between here in Cabo San Lucas. We're about to start.

To all of you who have sent us good wishes, thank you. As we head off, you cannot know how it feels to take such wishes with us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.