Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Closing in on the end

19 May 2013 | At anchor, Raiatea
Hot Bill
We completed our last cruise of the season this morning. We left Papeete, Tahiti yesterday and 0900, and arrived at the entrance to the main pass this morning at 1100, or so.

The passage was beautiful, with good wind on our stern quarter and reasonable seas. Of course, with only two of us, Conni took the helm until midnight and I completed the night with midnight to 0600. I didn't get much sleep yesterday so I was bushed this morning. It took 26 hour for 140 miles, for an average of ovary 5 kts. Very good for us. We made power with the towed generator until it got snarled coming out of the water a few times. We dragged it on deck and I un-snarled it this morning. Solar is doing well so far. If I can get the wind generator up, we might not have to run the Honda generator. We're not making water any more, but still have charging to do. Remember, the damned regulator is out so we don't make electricity when we're motoring.

Raiatea is enormous! Tehaa, the sister island, is only mile away and shares the same barrier reef. Behind the reef is a very deep channel that goes almost all around Raiatea within the reef and you can easily get to Tehaa inside the reef. Quite cool, actually. The weather is decidedly NOT cool, but there's a big breeze so we're surviving.

We motored inside the reef, past the few resorts and marinas. Raiatea is a major base for yacht chartering, with Sunsail, Moorings, and a few French companies all vying for the yachters' dollars. Because of that, there's "dry storage" (storage on land) and, we hear, good services such as sailmakers and mechanics. Both of our sails are in need of TLC after the abuse that they've endured.

As usual, the water is gin-clear and with the hook set at 86-ft, we can just make out the shape in the sand.

The barrier reef breaks the seas, so there're always huge breakers crashing on the reef, sending up mountains of white foam and spray. Even from miles away, it's easy to see the reef/Pacific boundary.

Raiatea has motus! A motu, of course, is the tiny island of coral and there are many gorgeous motus, palm-covered, and with white sand beaches. Really, it's more beautiful than Tahitii, I think. We can also see Bora Bora from here, although it's 25 miles away. There's no mistaking the peaks of Bora Bora!

We have a lot to do today, and we'll be here tomorrow, too, to prepare the boat for the haul. After that, we have one day to complete things, then we fly to Tahiti, sit in the airport all night, then fly to LA on Air France.

Will try to get some photos up on the site.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.