Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

You're Home!

10 July 2015 | Raiatea Carenage mooring field
Bill
We're at the end of our trip. It's hard to imagine, really. Conni's been here for 28 days and we've cruised Bora Bora, Huahine, Fakarava, Rangiroa, back to Huahine, and now are the Raiatea Carenage. Wings was stored here two years ago, so we're old hands here, hence the Carenage owner's welcoming, "You're home!"

Our alarm buzzed at 0700 this morning but we were both so tired from our long days of the Rangoroa crossing to Huahine that we took an extra 30 minutes. We arrived in Huahine's Fare village bay in early afternoon and found the bay FULL of sailboats. Holy smokes! We counted 5 in the far end, 3 in the intermediate bay, 24 near the reef, and 11 near the village of Fare. Of course we didn't have a shot at a mooring and had to search for room to anchor near town. We succeeded at that, dropped the hook, and splashed the dinghy. There were 14 dinghies at the little dinghy dock! Crazy.

With our watermaker out, we carried our water jug like in the old days, and finally found some water. We visited the store and found our essentials of rum, beer, Roquefort, lunch fixings, and baguette. With our necessaries in hand, we strolled to the Huahine Yacht Club where we enjoyed some Internet and from which I posted yesterday's blog.

We were forced to motor sail in the light winds today. There were sailboats everywhere we looked. After our crossings where we see no one, it's a shock to see anyone at all. Raiatea is home to the largest set of sailboat charter companies in French Polynesia, so a lot of the boats are charter boats. I'm sure that it's nice for charterers to be able to see their destination and not be out of sight of land. The Society Islands in this are are ready-made for charterers since they can visit Tahiti, Raiatea, Taha'a, Huahine, Bora Bora, Morea, and all within a day or so of easy sailing.

We entered the Raiatea pass at 1400 and motor-sailed to the marina and borrowed a mooring. Man, I love moorings. We splashed the dinghy and quickly motored to the Carenage in time to meet the owner who welcomed us. We arranged to have Wings pulled on Monday. We'll stay on the mooring until then working to prepare the boat for storage. We'll move our blue boxes to the cockpit and start loading tomorrow. We're hauling back a lot of equipment that we haven't used since clutter is a bad thing on a cruising boat. We started with too much stuff and we're slowly making that right.

I bought a machete in Rangiroa. We've walked by coconuts by the hundred but have been unable to open them but not for lack of trying. Without losing fingers, I'm ready to take on the task. We also realized that it would be good anti-dog weaponry since we've been accosted many times on our long walks. C'mon, dog....I'll vivisect the next four-legged attacker.

The sailing is over but not the work. Our rental car will arrive tomorrow, and our bungalow will be ready on Monday night. We leave Raiatea for Papeete on Thursday afternoon, spend the night on the Fa'a airport floor (yuck) and fly out on Friday to Los Angeles. A week from now, we'll be in L.A.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.