Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride

21 June 2016 | Opunohu Bay, Moorea
Sleepy Bill
You know that we’re careful and check our weather multiple days before embarking on any passage. Conni collated reports from three of our best sources to announce that conditions were right for venturing outside Huahine’s lagoon.

We had a leisurely morning, preparing the boat for our overnight crossing, stopped at the Mahana Resort for information on acquiring their water, and have a lovely multi-hour brunch aboard Storm Bay with Chris and Margarite.

We dinghies back to the boat and started a several hour preparation for the overnight passage. That led to an easier-than-expected anchor lifting, thankfully, As much sawing around as we did for those days, we were surprised that the chain wasn’t in tangles or wrapped around something.

We motored back north, through the same shallows with Conni at the electronics and me at the helm with eyes on the world. We had no mishaps, but as we passed by Bourayne Bay, the lovely on-the-reef boat was still there. We learned today that her name is Exocet and Dominic, the brains and experience at Raiatea Carenage (this is his 125th boat-on-a-reef) couldn’t save her so they’ll have to sink her. What terrible news. As we passed by, we could actually see little ant-shapes of guys working on the boat. They had cables stretched off her bow that seemed to be holding the boat bow-to-seas to lessen damage. A little “nose” of reef protrudes outward there. She was motoring and just smacked the protrusion of the reef. No official word on things.

With that sobering thought, we motored on North and through the pass and into the Pacific Ocean. In minutes, we had our double-reefed main and double-reefed jib flying and we were heading for Moorea.

Conni’s weather had all confirmed that the winds would moderate and turn to allow us to make a good run to Moorea. The seas were also supposed to moderate.

Neither happened. The seas were in the 8-10 feet and very confused, and winds in the 25-30 knot range. The boat was ready for it, we were ready for it, but it simply wasn’t the relaxed passage that we had expected. Damn!

With such high wind, we AVERAGED 6.4 knots for the 8 hours! We hit a few 8+ knot runs, and stayed in the 7s for long periods. It’s our highest speed run on Wings. We were never in danger, the boat was never overpowered with both sails so deeply reefed, but it was a very wet, very uncomfortable ride.

I slept from midnight until 4, below, and we began a vigil for daylight to enter the lagoon at Moorea’s Opunohu Bay. By 0630, we had enough light to slowly motor into the bay, find the nearest anchoring location, drop the hook, and catch some sleep.

Opunohu Bay is beautiful, but at the moment it’s very rainy, so we’re ensconced below, listening to the drone of the Honda re-charging our batteries. Usually when we sail, we drag this little propeller connected to a generator, but the generator’s bearings failed over the layover so we simply use energy without replacing it. I’ve got to cart the generator back home and get the bearings replaced, or whatever is wrong. And it’s always something…

So, we’re safe and sound here in Opunohu Bay. We’ll be on Moorea, either here or Cook Bay, for the next few days, then go to Papeete, on Tahiti. We’ve arranged to stay a few days at the downtown marina, enjoying the Tahitian city and with all of the amenities at a price. Then, it’ll be back to Bora Bora, then Raiatea and home. Man, it’s been quick!

By the way, this is the Facebook page for the Raiatea Carenage with its amazing photos of boat rescues and losses.

https://www.facebook.com/Chantier-Naval-Raiatea-Carénage-Services-125191620853468/
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.