Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Problem Analysis: Technical Information

28 June 2016 | Marina de Papeete
Bill, in the know
A piston moves up and down in a cylinder, alternately drawing in air and compressing it. During the end of the compression cycle, the air is highly compressed (23 atmospheres or so) and very hot. Into this environment, diesel fuel is injected at high pressure, up to 2600 PSI. The fuel combusts in the heated air and delivers power to the piston and engine drivetrain. It’s a very simple system, needs no electricity to run (no spark plug), and is very efficient. If no fuel is injected, of course, the cycle ends.

We are fortunate that there’s an English-speaking Nanni dealer here in Papeete and that we contacted him as early as possible. His main mechanic, Daniel, arrived at 0800 today (rather than on Thursday as planned) on the boat and we went through all of the easy stuff, first: clogged fuel filters, bleeding the system. We then removed the high pressure lines from the injectors and watched fuel dribble out. Fuel from a running diesel is injected into the cylinder at very high pressure, so this was an indication of a problem. I was misled because there is some fuel, but not enough to run the engine, so when I bled the system, I did see fuel.

Daniel departed and returned with his boss, Bruno LeBrun. In years past, due to other engine problems, I had exchanged emails with Bruno, so we had something of an acquaintanceship already. With Bruno, we checked a few items that we hadn’t with Daniel.

So, we have a fuel supply problem. We cranked the engine and metered the fuel arriving at the secondary fuel filter and the bleed valve on the injector pump. Both showed plenty of fuel entering the injector pump. We removed the metal tubes that transfer pressurized diesel fuel to the injectors and there was only a weak squirt from the uncovered ports on the pump top. Fuel enters, little comes out: a damning diagnosis for the injector pump.

Bruno will contact Nanni directly and determine all of our options, and I’m working on the other end, contacting my Nanni parts guy in England. In either case, we’ll be buying and shipping a new injector to Papeete and having it installed. Yippee!

We’re ahead of the game by two days and I’ve contacted my England Nanni guy as soon as knew for sure that the pump was the problem. With luck, we can have the new pump here in 4-5 days, and then get it installed in a few hours. Man, will we know Papeete!

We’ve gotten some post cards off to family, we had a fine meal at a local sidewalk cafe at which we’ve had good meals the past few years, and have enjoyed living, on the cheap, in downtown Papeete. As long as we can get an injector here with alacrity, we’ll be fine.

BTW, if you have an old but functional Nanni Diesel injector pump that’s just lying around, let us know.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.