Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Up to Date

27 May 2018
Bill, hot
We're in the water at the Carenage slip. We were splashed on Friday afternoon and sat the night waiting for chores on Saturday: jib install, filling water tanks, completing other numerous tasks. On Saturday afternoon, as the last project, we tried to start the engine. Alas, there was a sputter and no start: the battery was stone dead. I checked the windlass battery and it, too, was stone dead, so the Pathmaker, the device that allocates charge to various battery banks had finally died. The time was, as it usually is, unfortunate, since our very nice and competent boat watch lady and I were both fooled by the numbers shown on various gauges. Yes, they were 10-year-old batteries, but the heat and no charge killed them.

So, we need two Group 24 AGM batteries, or some such. I'll take what I can get. I think that I can switch battery banks for charging by simply attaching a properly sized wire from the positive buss bar to a double-stud arrangement and connect the engine and windlass batteries to that when they need a charge. Primitive, but there were batteries and chargers long before there were fancy combiners. That's the workaround. There's a retired nuclear submarine officer just around the corner who distrusts the automatic charge controllers and does his switching by hand. He can even use AGMs and simply flooded by taking care, something impossible with an automatic system. I don't have switch but it's the same idea.

On Thursday afternoon, we were in the Carenage office requesting a late Friday afternoon splash. Nick, the second-in-command and owner's son, declared that we were going into the water on Friday morning since they a contract with the local Moorings that took priority. Hmmm... All we could do is agree. Friday morning, I was up early and zipped to the airport to fetch our new solar charge controller. With it in my hot hands, I scurried back to the Pension where we quickly packed everything. Conni drove me to the boat so that I could prepare her (the boat) for the launch, and drove back to the Pension so that she could leave the vehicle and get a ride.

I hurried around, preparing for the launch: inflating fenders, preparing the dock lines, and so forth. Conni arrived in 30 minutes and we both completed the preparations.

At 1630...we got launched. Damn! That's when we wanted to be launched but we could have spent our day more profitably. Hurry up and wait: We might as well have been in the Army!

With little difficulty, I removed the old solar controller and installed the new one. I followed all of the directions and it sprang into life and has done an amazingly good job. We're both highly impressed with the performance. It doesn't remove the need for an hour of generator time, but it's only an hour. The new controller is a quarter the size and much closer to weatherproof. It's a better mousetrap.

We've had some bad problems along the way, but we think that there might be a shop in town from which we can buy the batteries that we need. If I must buy simple flooded batteries, that's what I'll do. Since I'm switching by hand, I've got to be more aware, but it can be done.

Other than the battery charging issue, we've done quite well and the boat is in pretty good shape.
If we can buy our batteries locally, we'll be out of here tomorrow and this'll be the last blog for a few days, but you know what we're doing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.