Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Julia Leaves, We Take a Rest Day

27 June 2018 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
Tired Bill
By training, Julis is a Marine Biologist, and we had made plans for her to make a dive here on Raiatea, which supposedly has some of the better diving around. We departed Uturoa in the morning and motored to Apooiti Bay, home of the Moorings and Sunsail charter fleet. We grabbed a mooring and headed to the small marina to connect with Hemisphere Sub, the local, and highly-rated, dive shop.

I had exchanged email with them the day before and knew that they had a 1400 hour dive planned, a "drift dive" through a local pass through Raiatea's surrounding reef Passe Teavapiti. It's the main pass through the reef and we've been through it many times. It's the pass closest to Uturoa, so there's a lot of traffic through it.

I love drift dives! One is deposited on the outside of a reef pass and simply drifts with the incoming tide through the pass (hence the name), watching things as one passes them by. The dive was at 70 feet and Julia was apprehensive about the depth, but I've been that deep on many occasions. I'll never be a good diver since I have such trouble clearing my ears, but once at depth, I have no issues with my ears. We made the arrangements.

In the end, Julia felt the dive was too deep for her experience, so I went by myself. It was a great dive! We saw LOTS of Black Tip Sharks, a few Lemon Sharks, a school (is that the collective noun?) of rays gliding through the water, a school of Barracuda, and many other exotic (to me, anyway) fish. There was even a goodly amount of living and colorful coral: pink, green, purple, and yellow. Beautiful. It was also interesting and informative to see the bottom of the pass since we regularly traverse it. It's nice to know that it's clear and that the sides aren't too steep or rocky.

Today, we arose early and after breakfast, loaded into the dinghy to take Julia to the airport. The channel beside the airstrip is difficult to follow and poorly marked, where it's marked at all. With some difficulty, we did navigate to the terminal and said goodbye to our crew mate. Julia, thanks for everything. You were great and you helped us enormously.

Our original plan was to get to Taha'a today, but after an hour of "second breakfast", we decided to just sit at the mooring. We did odd jobs around the boat, whipping lines, replacing broken gear, cleaning, checking fittings: necessary but hardly demanding. It was glorious!

Tomorrow, we go to Taha'a and Tapuamu Bay. It's one of our favorites and we look forward to seeing it again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.