Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Leg 12 Plans

01 February 2019 | Home in Anchorage
Thoughtful Bill
It's almost impossible for me to imagine that Conni, Wings, and I are now facing Leg 12! What a fascinating six years it's been here in the Pacific.

In our last blog, I mentioned that there was another Passport in the next yard, a Passport 42, designed by Stan Huntingford and not Robert Perry. They're similar but far from identical. Big Rock Candy Mountain was sold to an ex-pat American living in Australia and a Bay-area Passport 40 owner. Conni and I wish them well. They've got a spectacular boat in a spectacular sailing area, and they got her for a steal. What's not to like?

We arranged for Wings to have another 36-months in French Polynesia by clearing from the country, sailing to and checking into the Cook Islands, and returning. That required most of the season, but we did re-start the customs clock so that we have another 36-month stint here in FP.

Last season was consumed by the trip to the Cook Islands and this year the season will, in all likelihood, be consumed by replacing the engine. As I've mentioned several times, exhaustive research led us to select a Beta engine. The block and engine on which its built is a Kubota tractor engine. By itself, that bodes well for a durable and easy-to-repair engine. That engine is shipped to England where it's stripped and fitted with parts to make it operate in a marine environment. These include a deep oil sump for more oil, a heat exchanger so that hot coolant in the engine is cooled by salt water that's dumped overboard in the exhaust, and several other important modifications. We also ordered a 120A alternator so that we can more quickly charge batteries. It's the same brand as our current alternator so it can make use of our current regulator.

The Beta factory recommended a mechanic in Papeete, Adrian Pataki, who has instilled a lot of these engines in many different sailboats. I've been in touch with him for almost a year and have spoken to him by phone. He speaks good English and seems to know his business.

Beta will fabricate our engine especially for us, with all of the extras that we ordered for our specific use. We spoke to other Passport 40 owners who have installed this same engine and have used all of their advice on how to make it a smooth installation. We also had Beta fabricate custom motor mounts so that we should be able to drop in the engine.

Since we bought the engine from a British company and they're shipping to an EU country (French Polynesia), we pay no import or export tax, saving a bundle of money. The engine will be fabricated and sent to Dunkirk, France, to board a ship to French Polynesia. When it reaches Papeete, our mechanic will accept the engine and store it in a secure location until our arrival. All of this sound easy, but it's completely out of our control and that gives us anxiety and concern. There are so many things that can fail, but we're committed to the enterprise and will hope for the best.

Adrian the mechanic will remove enough parts on the old engine to get it out of the boat, and I imagine he'll do the same to get the new engine into the boat. We won't stay on the boat during this work, so we'll have to have a place in Papeete to stay. It's all very exciting and very nerve-racking!

As we approach our departure time, I'll add some more information. I have updated our site with Leg 12 information.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.