Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

SOS

31 December 1969 | Pension Tiare Nui
William Ennis | hot, then it rains
Same old shit...We're working very hard, dealing with the heat, and forging ahead. Conni, that amazing person, got all the halyards re-rove, although at a cost of some sunburn. We replace them during summer with "messanger lines", as they're called, and that saves the expensive halyards. I competed engine and transmission work that I began yesterday. Both components are ready to go, I think. I need to check the fuel tanks for contamination and blow through the fuel lines, but that's minimal. Our Honda generator is ready to go, as is our Mercury outboard. We are making progress.

The red and green "side lights", as they're called, are in a single fixture but the fixture has been drinking saltwater for a long time now, and we decided to replace the unit this year, and I also bought waterproof LED replacement bulb for it. Alas, the red and green sectors of the bulb don't align with the appropriate colors on the fixture, so we'll have to return to an energy-hungry incandescent bulb. Damn. Unlike incandescent bulbs, one must use red LEDs for the red side and green LEDs for the green side since LEDs produce so much less light.

The boat is a hot mess, with tools and parts everywhere. That's why we're in a pension! AC, beds, hot showers, Wifi, and a car: what's not to like? We'll get into town tomorrow and determine if we can find some propane fittings of if I have to scavenge parts to get something that work. Today was another in the seemingly endless series of French Polynesian holidays. Today was Whit Monday, a purely Catholic holiday but celebrated here. Tomorrow, business opens and, perhaps, Balloré Logistics will release our engine and truck it to our mechanic's shop.

I was reading my engine commissioning notes today and realized that, perhaps, it was the last time that I'd be doing all of that work on that engine. Staggering thought. We've pounds of purely Nanni-Diesel parts that we'll sort and, for the more valuable parts, we'll bring home for sale. We'll have so much space! This new engine has been a dream until the past few days, but we're closer than ever and the magnitude of the change is coming home to us.

We also learned that, rather than having to enlarge our propeller blades, we'll be able to increase the pitch a few degrees and run with our present prop for a while. How nice! Our current engine has 42 tired horses, and the new one, 50 virile one, so the difference will be significant and getting that power to the water is key.

One afternoon when I return to the pension and am not whipped tired, I'll get some photos posted, but we've been almost nowhere and done little else but work on commissioning the boat. I know that we have a few cool shots that I'll get posted
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.