Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Tough Days

09 July 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Hot and humid
It's been surprising hot and humid, with no breeze, and even with our fans, we spend the day dripping sweat onto our work. Even the locals have been griping about the heat.

Our work slowed today since the engine is in the boat and it's all fitting and figuring. We've arranged to have all of our exhaust, raw water (that is, sea water used as a coolant), and fuel hoses replaced and that work on top of the engine installation. We imagine another 1-1/2 weeks here.

Today, we spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with a scrap yard that accepted (after some negotiation) our old Nanni block. The deal is that they sign an FP Customs form that we duly delivered the engine for destruction and made no profit from it. The owner wasn't there, so we'll have to return next week. To ensure that they "remember" our dealings, I took many photos of the staff and our engine being removed from our van with forklift. They gave us US$10 for the block and parts. Our driver, a Marina Taina worker named Georges, and Adrain, we treated to cheeseburgers, fries, and Orangina at a local Chinese "Snack" or open-air cafe.

By 1300, we were back aboard and we began our work for the day. Our decision was to put the new and very much larger coupler on the inboard end of the prop shaft and have Adrian (who was diving under the boat) push the shaft inward until the coupling touched the flange at the transmission's end. Having done so, he measured the distance between the propeller inner end and the propeller shaft strut. With that done, we had an idea that the shaft needs softening by 3-1/2-4 inches. Maybe. I think that we need more measurement, but it's a start.

We know already that the configuration of the beta is different enough from the old Nanni that we'll have to modify some cabinetry, most in a minor way, just some areas removed to allow parts to protrude where the old counterparts did not. I don't relish removing wood, but if done carefully, it was an expectation. To accomplish the cutting, I've got an oscillating saw, although it's 110VAC, fo course, and won't operate on the 220 VAC/50Hz. To run the saw, we usually use an inverter, but when I located our, it has rusted to failure: a West Marine product. A marine product simply should't rust away, in my opinion. We had trouble with the Honda generator last year, so it wasn't my first choice, but now we had no choice. Out it came, and after an hour trying to pay 700 XPF (US$7) for a gallon of gasoline, we were up and running.

As you can see, we accomplished much less than the hours might suggest. Tomorrow, Wedneday, is Adrian's boat watch day, so we're off work. Hurray!
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.