23 July 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Working all day. Who knows?
Adrian and Gabriel arrived at 0800 and we started right in. The constant stress of failure has put everyone on edge and some unkind words were thrown about. It was to be expected, I guess, but they're the first that we've had. Still, we've been working for 3 weeks and just aligned the engine and prop shaft coupling.
After the arduous work that Gabriel and I did yesterday, removing material from the stringers, it appeared that we were finally in the correct height range for the engine and coupling to align. Adrain marked the angle steel to remove some metal to fit the new location that Gabriel and I had cleared. Adrian needed a few discs for his angle grinder, and there's no supplier near the marina, so Adrian and Gabriel took Adrian's dinghy to SOCIMAT, a local construction supplier.
After an hour of grinding, the metal was finished and we came back to the boat. The metal fit nicely and it was time for the engine to be replaced. I had already re-installed the hauling system so we got to work on that, replacing the engine in record time. We had to remove some errant fiberglass and jockey the engine around a bit, but the engine fit, and more importantly, the alignment was good. Hurray! We're over the hump! All four of us, Conni and I, Adrian, and Gabriel, needed this to work. Tempers had frayed and we had no more fiberglass to remove: we were at the hull. If it hadn't worked, we would have had to find a Plan B, but none that Conni and I derived were very palatable.
After lunch, we got things marked for drilling and tapping, and removed the engine but for the last time. Tomorrow, we'll get the first layer of epoxy applied since my cleaning effort yesterday soaked the stringer plywood. Tomorrow, Wednesday, is Adrain's boat watch day, so Conni and I will take a bus into town to buy the final items: 12 feet of 2" exhaust hose (How romantic!), raw water filter, white epoxy paint, and some other parts. Since 12 feet of 2" exhaust hose won't be welcomed on a bus, we'll have to take a cab back to the marina.
Everyone was back by 1300 and we began again. The coupling is held to the flange on the transmission with four studs. The studs should have been in the package but they weren't, so Adrian had to use the angle grinder to shorten some stainless steel bolts. The fabricated ones were a bit too long, so those were removed and then replaced. For some reason, it was difficult to re-align the coupling and engine, so that took another 30 minutes, but finally things were aligned. The alignment is the crux of the problem so everyone holds breath until the "Ahhh...got it!" is announced.
Gabriel and Adrian carefully marked the location of the motor mount locations on the angle steel, while keeping an eye on the alignment. We removed the engine, for the last time, we all hope, and it's sitting, as it has for two weeks, in the middle of the salon. After discussing the parts that we are to buy tomorrow, our two workers departed and we were left with the cleanup. I removed dirty water from the bilge and cleaned the entire engine area for possible epoxy paint tomorrow.
Tomorrow, we hope to purchase all of the items that we need. Early tomorrow, too, Adrian and Gabriel will return to spread epoxy on all of the cut and exposed wood and Conni and I will return and spread a few layers of epoxy paint.