25 July 2019 | Marina Taina
William Ennis | Hot again
Adrian and Gabriel arrived this morning and spent their time removing the two angle steel pieces from the stringers. The epoxy is a tough adhesive and even the masking tape and vaseline didn't make them easy to remove. Adrian grabbed my big hammer and pounded on the metal and that loosened it enough to remove. Gabriel mixed more epoxy resin, hardener, and structural thickener to a "peanut butter" consistency and spread it on the cleaned stringer tops. They replaced the angle, bolted them into place, and departed. Adrian also said that he had allowed 3 weeks for our engine work and had to pick up some other promised work, so he won't return until Tuesday. We'll be lucky to be done by next Friday.
With the remaining epoxy, I waterproofed any surfaces that we cut to fit the engine, so that's done. I worked on preparing the bilge for the epoxy paint, by cleaning with a degreaser, sanding with 80-grit paper, and washing in acetone. Of course, one application wasn't enough, so I repeated 3 or 4 times. Head down in a pit full of degreaser fumes or acetone fumes: not a good high, but the bilge will be ready for our paint tomorrow. It's epoxy paint, two parts, so measurement is critical. Mixing is also critical so I bought a drill-powered mixing wheel to stir the stuff.
The bilge pump has been problematic for a while, so I've been working on the wiring problem. I've found two wires and need only a third to wire things correctly. If I don't find that third wire, I'll have to run one through the most constricted wire runs in the boat. Wings was built in 1984, long before there were demands for so much navigation equipment and such. The single passage from below the cockpit to the engine compartment (and beyond for wires for radar and wind gauges) is so small that I had to use copper tubing for fuel rather than neoprene, since copper is so much smaller and was my only choice. We simply have to have the bilge pump functioning properly.
We did hear that there's a gear swap (or what we'd label a gear swap) on Saturday morning, so perhaps we can sell some of the engine parts that we'd like to sell, converting surplus to some money.